Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best mineral lick  (Read 3538 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Best mineral lick
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:14:43 am »
Am almost ready to get my lambs, 
Just wondering what the best mineral block is and price etc ? I have a farm supplies shop nr me and bata not to far a way
   Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Best mineral lick
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:01:50 am »
Depends what you need a mineral lick for. If it’s just general purpose minerals get whatever the shop has in but ensure it’s for sheep (no copper) I use mole valley foot and fertility licks as a basic mineral bucket, we have had issues with B1 deficiency so ensure the sheep have access to buckets containing this.

If there’s no known deficiencies then a rockies salt lick will be fine- someone will be along later to say which one you need as some have copper in and aren’t suitable for sheep.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 11:32:49 am »
Mine just have a Supalyx GP sheep lick bucket with a high energy one when heavy in lamb/fresh lambed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 05:09:41 pm »
We use lumps of Himalayan rock salt for everything now.  £10 a sack, lasts well if you put it an a container which drains, and even better if you can put it under cover. 

I only get mineral buckets now for pre-calving cows and pre-lambing ewes.  For the latter, we use Mole Valley's own "suitable for organic systems" Rumigan range (no soya or other cereal) general purpose lick (ok for cattle and sheep at any stage).

Be aware that some licks are molassed minerals, which may or may not also have a cereal content, and some are out and out feed blocks. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:19:15 am »
Were do you find it for £10 a sack just looking on Ebay and £22 is the cheapest for 25kg still not expensive I guess

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:09 am »
Most feed merchants- mole valley is just over £6 for 25kg, so £22 is very expensive. The mineral content of rock salt is negligible but the salt does encourage water intake which in turn makes animals eat more, and will help with acidosis in cattle.

As sally says some buckets are just minerals with a small amount of molasses to help palatability- these have very little feed content (look at energy and protein levels). Some will have extra energy and protein- these are more of a feed bucket than just for mineral content. A general purpose sheep bucket will suffice for lambs, they shouldn’t need any kind of energy or protein until the autumn if you want to finish them before winter.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:45:13 am by twizzel »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 04:24:38 pm »
Were do you find it for £10 a sack just looking on Ebay and £22 is the cheapest for 25kg still not expensive I guess

Your agri merchant should have it.  Here's Mole Valley's. 

The mineral content of rock salt is negligible

It's true that 96-98% of the lump is sodium chloride, which is why it is called salt ;)

The Himalayan stuff is unrefined, comes straight to you having been hewn from the rock by hand, and that 2-4% includes around 84 different things.

Trace elements in drenches, licks (and your vitamin tablets) and so on are so called because there is a trace of them, but that trace can have a significant effect on health.  ;)

At the price, I cannot fathom why everyone doesn't at least try it and make their own decision about its efficacy for their stock on their land.  I did, and would not now be without it in every field, year round. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 02:17:52 pm »
i use crystalix ewe and lamb, £19
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS