Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: end of days  (Read 1996 times)

conorkeane

• Joined Mar 2020
end of days
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:20:45 pm »
I hope some of you knowledgeable pig keepers on here may be able to give me some advice. I have two sows whicj I have had for a number of years. I originally got two weanlings with the intention of rearing them for the freezer. Of course I got too attached and ended up breeding them instead. I am now, years later left with one of the original sows and her daughter ( I only bred them the once). They have been essentially pets all those years. The problem is that the older sow has developed arthritis in her rear legs and is finding it difficult to walk at times. The kindest thing is to have her put down but this has thrown up some questions. How do I dispose of a large sow? Should I have her put down on the farm or can I bring her to an abbatoir? What about the younger pig? I know that I can't leave her on her own but how easy would it be to introduce other younger pigs to her? I would really appreciate any advice as I am not in contact with any other pig keepers locally. I am located in southern Ireland.
Thanks.
Conor.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: end of days
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 06:06:57 pm »
Hi Conor - welcome to the forum.  Unfortunately I'm not a piggy person, but I'm sure someone will come along soon.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 07:44:51 pm »

Cull sows are either taken to an auction or a collection centre where they are bought to be processed. I'm thinking that after all this time you don't want to make her into sausage so an abattoir wouldn't be the option. You need the vet to put her to sleep and arrange collection by the deadstock collector in your area. Possibly the deadstock collector maybe able to PTS for you too. If are going to travel her she needs to be fit to travel.

Introducing pigs can be difficult. They will most certainly fight if just put in with each other. If your other sow is old then I would see if she is ok on her own.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:08:33 pm »
Our abattoir has agreed to take an elderly boar, if we wish in the future, and then dispose of the carcass  (for a fee) - so it might be worth asking.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 01:55:40 am »
I suppose it depends on how attached you are to the pigs? The elderly one with trouble walking at times is probably not able to travel so i would call a fallen stock company and inform them over the phone that she is alive and they will dispatch and take away. The younger of the sows could either go at the same time, or you could sell her through a local livestock market?

conorkeane

• Joined Mar 2020
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 08:24:50 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I will explore those avenues and see what I can find- Appreciate the help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS