Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb supplement  (Read 890 times)

Frolesworth Flock

• Joined Mar 2020
Lamb supplement
« on: March 23, 2020, 07:57:45 pm »
Hi, we are currently supplementing twin Suffolk lambs with milk after their colostrum intake. However they are now less interested in the bottle does that mean they are feeding from the ewe?.
They are 4 days old.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lamb supplement
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:47:43 pm »
Possibly.  How much are you offering, how often, and how much are they taking?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:12:58 pm »
Why were you supplementing did she have no milk ? catch the ewe and check her udder for milk , if the lambs are lively and stretch when standing and have round stomachs not concave then probably yes . Have you not seen them suckling ?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 06:07:14 am »
I've had several ewes this year with little milk.

What is her bag like and how are the lambs behaving? If they are hunched up then they aren't getting much from the ewe. Sometimes they will drink from a teat, and then swap sides if the ewe is low on milk. If they are sleeping a lot, but when distrubed get up stretch and drink from the ewe, they are probably getting their milk from her.

I took one lamb off the my ewes with little milk as after a week or trying their production didn't improve.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS