Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs and foxes  (Read 1300 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Lambs and foxes
« on: March 29, 2020, 01:07:33 pm »
We have been turning our lambs out in the day (born from last Sunday) for the past few of days and Friday night only brought the 2 day old one in at night.

Last night the weather was very cold, windy so we brought all in. Very glad we did as we know there are at least 2 foxes around but a couple of fields away. Yesterday we saw one of the foxes walking around at midday, one was in the turn out field last night and I saw one about 10 meters away from the outbuilding I was in when feeding the cades last night (wasn't bother by my presence).

At what age / size are lambs safer from foxes?

I wanted to leave all that have lambed so far out tonight but now not sure whether they're safer inside at night until we deal with these very cocky foxes.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lambs and foxes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 02:18:42 pm »
Depends on the fox , not all will take lambs but if they do start then even lambs over a week old can be taken  , most are taken in the first 48hrs  , some times foxes can work as a pair one distracting the mother while the second comes in behind to grab a lamb .   Depends on the mother , young mothers are an easier target than an older protective ewe  plus hill bred ewes  tend to run away easier than a big meat breed .  The smaller the lamb the easier  the target plus the more lambs she has to protect the harder her job .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 04:31:29 pm »
If they are cade lambs with no ewes to protect them, they probably want to be 3 weeks old at the very least, or older if they are a tiny breed like Shetlands.  Think about it, they need to be quite a bit bigger than a rabbit, cat or duck ;)

I used to have an old foxproof chicken run I put my cades in at night, up to 5 or 6 weeks old.

Otherwise, if they can run with and make pals with some lambs who have mums to protect them, they would have a degree of protection from the ewes - but no ewe will protect another lamb if she feels she needs to stay with her own, so it's not a guarantee.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:36:03 pm »
How about goat kids? Later time I kept them  inside for only couple of weeks but now all restaurants are closed I assume foxes must be more hungry than usual - as we are in the city not far from a busy road full of restaurants and takeaways.
I'm getting 1 week old goat kids this coming Wednesday. So I'm a bit worried to be honest. I think I'll lock them up at night but let them out (in the large pen) at day time.
"Our" foxes killed chickens in the past, as well as muscovy ducks but never muscovy drakes or geese although they were in the same pen as chickens!
The goats I'm getting are large breed - British Toggenburg. Would leave pygmy kids or tiny shetland lambs alone in the field - especially at night!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:42:44 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS