NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Sanitiser - home made options  (Read 1744 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Sanitiser - home made options
« on: March 19, 2020, 09:01:05 pm »
OK, so I know that you can make hand sanitiser from 2/3 surgical spirit and 1/3 moisturiser but I seem to recall seeing something a while ago about vets making their own sanitiser from a combination of either dettol or hibiscrub with fairy liquid and water... am I right? 

Does anyone remember the proportions?  I ask because I'm now seeing surgical spirit prices going through the roof!  Someone nicked the hand sanitiser I used to take to shows to protect my stock.  I don't think I'm in desperate need at the moment, but depending on how this pans out it could be useful to have some around the place "just in case" it's needed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:03:17 pm by Scarlet.Dragon »
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.
Voss Electric Fence

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow. Some say it's in England.
Re: Sanitiser - home made options
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:04:48 pm »
I'm not sure what the difference is between surgical spirit & isopropyl alc', but alcohol is alcohol and, as I understand it, kills pretty much all pathogens (and slugs and, if used in excess, humans as well !!). 
Luckily I have several litres of the iso' type.
Hydrogen peroxide is another good disinfectant (bacteria and virus I believe) if one can still buy it given that it is an explosives ingredient. 

But I guess that just washing thoroughly with ordinary hand soap (or something like "Fairy Liquid") is sufficient to dislodge the virus and send it down the drain where, hopefully, it will expire in a relatively short space of time.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:25:09 pm by arobwk »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:29 pm »
Try this link from the WHO*:

https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf

Otherwise, diluted hibiscrub will work just fine - that's kinda what it's meant for!

*Not literally The WHO, although admit it, that would be really cool. More the W.H.O. Oh, I give up.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 11:05:08 pm »
I'm not sure what the difference is between surgical spirit & isopropyl alc', but alcohol is alcohol and, as I understand it, kills pretty much all pathogens (and slugs and, if used in excess, humans as well !!). 
Luckily I have several litres of the iso' type.
Hydrogen peroxide is another good disinfectant (bacteria and virus I believe) if one can still buy it given that it is an explosives ingredient. 

But I guess that just washing thoroughly with ordinary hand soap (or something like "Fairy Liquid") is sufficient to dislodge the virus and send it down the drain where, hopefully, it will expire in a relatively short space of time.

Think surgical spirit and isopropyl alcohol are much the same thing - different manufacturers maybe?  Both are denatured alcohol I believe and yes, kills pretty much anything BUT, it seems that as these are the "obvious" make at home solutions profiteers are using supply and demand principles to significantly inflate the price of the ingredients.  I think isopropyl alcohol has the same issue as hydrogen peroxide too so some chemists may be loathe to sell it.

Agree that soap and water (good old fashioned carbolic soap!!!) is a decent option but I was thinking of having some tubes hanging alongside the uddermint as "just in case" options in the barn.  I'm sure I saw somewhere that vets used a combination of the mix I mentioned above in a fairy liquid bottle to always have an option if they needed to scrub up in difficult circumstances (lambing shed or out in a field I guess) but I can't find the "recipe" for it and wondered if anyone on here made their own.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 06:25:04 am »
Hibiscrub is soapy so why add anything to it? Hibitane is the non-soapy version you might want to add to.

How good either of those - or indeed all the other ideas floating around on the net are - would require some google research as CORVID-19 killers. Just because something is an antiseptic and originally designed against bacteria doesn't mean it does or does not inactivate this particular virus.

Avoid rumour and opinion - get facts i.e manufacturer data sheets and the like.
For instance Uv light can inactivate viruses but will be a combo of intensity and time. But if the virus is hidden in dirt it won't get to it..washing physically removes the contaminant and may? interfer with any fatty coatings.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 09:53:33 am »
Maybe I was confusing the hibiscrub and hibitane.  I've got a couple of litres of hibiscrub in the first aid kit so I'll maybe just make up a solution of that in a fairy liquid bottle.  I'm not thinking of this specifically for COVID19, more for general sanitiser about the place, particularly if I'm being a bit more careful on who is around and what they're touching as part of the social distancing advice.  However, it's the "hand washing" bit of it, without having to invite people into the house to use the facilities that I'm thinking of.

I had one (commercially bought for lambing a few years ago) that I used to take to shows for anyone handling stock to clean up before/after handling mine but it got nicked and I can't remember what it was called as I didn't go through much of it.  I've had a look at a couple of online shops but can't see anything obvious so I'm assuming whatever it was has sold out in the panic over coronavirus as I can't believe it wouldn't be stocked at this time of year normally.  It came in the same sort of bottle as agri-gel/lambing lube from what I recall.  I think it was the stuff to scrub up whilst out in the park before using agri gel.  Someone's probably going to tell me I'm very out of touch and this got discontinued a decade ago...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 10:20:34 am »
Hibiscrub 500ml is an effective, hospital grade antiseptic hand sanitizer that can be used against a wide range of Bacteria, Lipophilic Viruses, Yeasts, and Dermatophyte Fungi. The scrub is incredibly powerful and lasts up to six hours as it continues to protect your skin from bacteria and viruses.

COVID-19 is lipophilic,yes?  So Hibiscrub will be effective.  I shall have to go and dig mine out.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cow, beef cattle, pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 10:21:22 am »
During the war people used to make home made soap from wood ash and double cream  :innocent:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese rabbits and a little boy on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 02:58:40 pm »
I use neat white vinegar in a spray bottle, have done for years. Use Bio D washup liquid, vinegar and water for all my cleaning - surfaces and floors and run a self catering cottage. Just making laundry soap powder from coconut soap and washing soda - sorry Scarlet Dragon I realise I've just jumped in on your question  :innocent:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 03:49:43 pm »
During the war people used to make home made soap from wood ash and double cream  :innocent:

I use wood ash to clean the glass on the wood burner - very effective with a spot of white vinegar for removing the brown marks!  I guess the double cream equates to the moisturiser so I could see that working quite well!!!  Whether it's in any way antibacterial, fungicidal or even hygienic is an altogether different question!!!  However, desperate times...  I'm sure I still have a huge stash of soaps somewhere, I used to collect them so I don't think I'll be short.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 04:19:24 pm »
I realise my input might be a tad simplistic and sound naive to expect to be able to wipe out virulent viruses with fish and chip sides but you know what I mean  :thinking:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 06:21:54 pm »
It was a vision of the old USSR today!  I went to 2 supermarkets because I wanted to post a mother's day card from Tesco, having bought it in Sainsbury's.  (I won't be visiting my very elderly parents this Sunday.) 
I actually popped into Tesco just to see how their shelves looked and they were pretty much plundered as per Sains':  I did manage to pick up a couple bottles of modestly priced wine though, having found Sain's shelves all but empty in that section.  Clearly that tells us something about Sainsbury's shoppers :D .  No toilet essentials or sanitizing products at all in either store.

OK, back to sanitizers;  so I might have several litres of 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol (IA) in my store, but I thought best to check on-line for current pricing because the Covid-19 virus is not going away any time soon.  There does, indeed, seem to be a price-hiking spree with some really silly pricing for IA on-line.  Mini-bottle pricing is eye-watering on a £ per litre basis. 
I bought 5 ltrs @ £3.20/ltr ages ago & some are now offering to sell for 3x that.  However, while checking, I luckily happened across an Ebay seller offering 5 ltr of 99.9% IA @ just £1.40/ltr.  What!!??   Seller had 100% satisfaction rating so you will know what I did.  "It will eat no meat."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:59:36 pm by arobwk »

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 08:10:23 pm »
I use neat white vinegar in a spray bottle, have done for years. Use Bio D washup liquid, vinegar and water for all my cleaning - surfaces and floors and run a self catering cottage. Just making laundry soap powder from coconut soap and washing soda - sorry Scarlet Dragon I realise I've just jumped in on your question  :innocent:

Don't apologise; I'm loving the ideas of others.  I like to do a lot of "natural" stuff - lemon juice, vinegar, essential oils etc.  Feel free to post recipes for the rest of us to try out!

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 08:14:27 pm »
It was a vision of the old USSR today!  I went to 2 supermarkets because I wanted to post a mother's day card from Tesco, having bought it in Sainsbury's.  (I won't be visiting my very elderly parents this Sunday.) 
I actually popped into Tesco just to see how their shelves looked and they were pretty much plundered as per Sains':  I did manage to pick up a couple bottles of modestly priced wine though, having found Sain's shelves all but empty in that section.  Clearly that tells us something about Sainsbury's shoppers :D .  No toilet essentials or sanitizing products at all in either store.

OK, back to sanitizers;  so I might have several litres of 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol (IA) in my store, but I thought best to check on-line for current pricing because the Covid-19 virus is not going away any time soon.  There does, indeed, seem to be a price-hiking spree with some really silly pricing for IA on-line.  Mini-bottle pricing is eye-watering on a £ per litre basis. 
I bought 5 ltrs @ £3.20/ltr ages ago & some are now offering to sell for 3x that.  However, while checking, I luckily happened across an Ebay seller offering 5 ltr of 99.9% IA @ just £1.40/ltr.  What!!??   Seller had 100% satisfaction rating so you will know what I did.  "It will eat no meat."

Was that the eBay seller that only had a feedback rating of 14 and only opened the account recently, based in China?  If so, I saw that and thought "scam" so didn't purchase...  If you do get the stuff, please let us know and I'll go buy some too.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 08:49:59 pm »
@Scarlet.Dragon  I won't know until Wed/Thurs next week (due delivery date/s), but link to my seller below.  Seller is in China, but is selling product located in the UK (as advertised)! 
I will post again when/if it arrives.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPA-100-5-LITRE-Lab-Grade-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol-99-9-RUBBING-ALCOHOL/184218581668?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Free Labels for your home made home grown stuff

Started by Tullywood Farm

Replies: 2
Views: 1862
Last post August 15, 2009, 03:02:09 pm
by HappyHippy
Home Made Washing Powder

Started by greenfingers

Replies: 5
Views: 5603
Last post January 07, 2011, 04:54:30 pm
by plumseverywhere
Home made cleaning tips!!!!!!

Started by Sandy

Replies: 11
Views: 3501
Last post June 26, 2011, 01:31:26 pm
by faith0504
Home made hog roast - Channel 4

Started by Tudful Tamworths

Replies: 3
Views: 2048
Last post January 18, 2014, 08:40:30 pm
by Bodger
Home made midge controle

Started by happygolucky

Replies: 4
Views: 1212
Last post July 08, 2013, 03:37:27 pm
by happygolucky

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS