Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If I was to buy a pair of pigs what breed would you recommend  (Read 2483 times)

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
I've never had pigs in my life, but thought it would be cool to get 2, they would only be for pets, maybe breeding along way down the road.

Im looking for a small bread, that's Hardy and friendly?

Cheers guys

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: If I was to buy a pair of pigs what breed would you recommend
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 06:22:56 am »
For what you want, Kune Kune
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 06:43:09 am »
I'd say Kune Kune too. If your thinking pet pigs and maybe have the occasional litter every couple of years you might have problems with traditional breeds of pigs. They can be very hard to get in pig if not bred from regularly.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:51:47 pm »
I'd say Kune Kune too. If your thinking pet pigs and maybe have the occasional litter every couple of years you might have problems with traditional breeds of pigs. They can be very hard to get in pig if not bred from regularly.

Any pig not regularly bred from is likely not to breed. I can't see Kune's being any different but I am happy to be corrected.

When you buy a breeding pig it should have good conformation and a good underline so it will have been selected for breeding and the price will reflect that.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:29:16 pm »
Any pig not regularly bred from is likely not to breed. I can't see Kune's being any different but I am happy to be corrected.

Sorry I was unclear, I think of Kune Kune as pet pigs, so if your looking for a pet pig, thats what I'd choose. I agree, pigs that are not bred from regularly can be difficult to get in pig, so the idea of having a traditional or commercial sow and breeding an occasional litter wouldn't be easy.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 11:21:11 am »
I have had Kune Kune and they have great natures and their meat is very good. We started off with the All Black and they too were nice pigs to work with. Over the past couple of years we bought crossbred piglets. Some were fine others would not have again. I have never bred only raise for meat.

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 08:12:24 pm »
I would say Kune Kune too.

But then I would as ours has just farrowed and we will have weaners for sale at the end of May....
We are in Carmarthenshire, if that is any good to you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS