Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding advice  (Read 1493 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Breeding advice
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:00:19 pm »
Hi, I have two pigs off to the abattoir in a couple of weeks, one boar and a guilt. This leaves my 7 month old Large Black boar on his own. I have a GOS guilt that is 9 months old that is intended for breeding. I have noticed her brimming I suspect twice. (First was a bit dubious but the second was a definite) By my calculations she would brim again mid March. Can I put her in with Boris the boar after this or leave him on his own for a little longer . Not particularly eager to get her in pig so soon , just a bit worried for poor young Boris on his own  :thinking:
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Breeding advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 06:28:01 pm »
There is nothing wrong with putting them together once she is out of heat but you'd have to remove her or him again 2 weeks later because she'd start coming on heat again, lasting for an average of 3 days. When she's coming onto heat and coming off, the boar will probably try to ride her and if she's not ready this can cause cuts/chaffing and stress to the maiden/gilt.
 We've never used boars that young for breeding and if i'm honest i'm not sure about their age of maturity for breeding. Ours are normally 10 months before we place them with gilts and second parities sows.

Maybe others on here can offer more advice
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 07:42:57 pm »

If you have bought yourself a nice GOS breeding gilt (good conformation and underline) why would you put it to a Large Black, and one that was rejected as a breeder. It wouldn't be a cross I would go for. 

When are you thinking of serving your GOS? Gilts generally farrow down at 12 to 14 months.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 01:13:49 pm »
If she is up to weight 9 months is fine :) OR do you not want Boris to be the sire?

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:38 am »
Hi sorry if my enquiry was a bit misleading, I think alang got the gist of it my his post . It was mainly about giving him some company now he’s on his own without any accidents so to speak . 
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS