Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goats pulling a cart  (Read 1342 times)

westcoastcroft

• Joined Oct 2016
goats pulling a cart
« on: February 28, 2020, 12:45:49 pm »
Our croft is long and steep.
We have a large  British Toggenberg wether
Put the two together and I think a cart for him to tow might be a fun idea.

Anybody got any experience of doing this?
Or plans for making a harness etc.

Thanks

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: goats pulling a cart
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »
There used to be a harness goat club.  Not sure if it is still in existence

PhilW

• Joined Jan 2011
  • North Lincolnshire

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: goats pulling a cart
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 12:40:27 pm »
I had two weathers that I was breaking to harness but never quite got as far as goat carting before they started getting quite aggressive and I decided to put them in the freezer as I felt it was too much of a risk with my two young children.

They seemed to accept harness much better than harness and I got them harnessed as a pair, dragging a tyre. I used modified nylon foal head collars and cobbled harnessed out of old leather pony tack. I used old leather girths as breast straps as they were padded, strong and had the buckles to connect other tack parts easily.

I walked them in harness many days and never had any rubbing or sores; I think goat hide is pretty tough compared with ponies.

They seemed to really take to the pulling part but didn't progress with voice control as well as I'd hoped. They'd listen to "Pull On!" And get going strong but a calm "steady woah" only resulted in a slight check of speed so mostly I was relying on the reins which isn't ideal. I'd decided to get or make tiny bits for them instead. Then my baby got ill and took up a lot of my time and after watching one head butt my toddler then  knock over my mum I knew it wasn't working out so they went in the freezer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS