Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on pig arks  (Read 1829 times)

CDC

• Joined Feb 2020
Advice on pig arks
« on: February 25, 2020, 04:10:04 pm »
Hi, I have five pet pigs that I will soon move to a woodland area, and so i need to get them a couple of arks. But I am not sure what is the ebst type for them.

We've used the traditional wooden frame with corrugated metal arch with wooden back and front ends before - but the pigs trashed the ones we had. This may have been becasue they werent well made or maybe we have particularly destructive pigs!

So, i am wondering if the large recycled plastic ones may be more resilient, or even the galvanised metal ones? Or should i stick to the traditional wood/metal ones?

if money isn't the issue (it is, but let's pretend for a moment!) what is the best option for the pigs? And what will last the longest? I worry that the metal ones may get too cold/hot, but then perhaps they are better insulated (ie no gaps) and so will be ideal. Getting myself a bit confused with it all! 

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thank you.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Advice on pig arks
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:03:37 am »
I can't advise on types, I'm afraid, have only ever used the same type you describe - and yes, over a few batches of pigs, the wood needs replacing.  I expect they'd last better if we were better at doing routine maintenance  ::)

If you are siting the arks in the woodland, then they should remain cool enough, I would have thought.  If they are unshaded then lots of ventilation is needed - we had a flap in the rear end which could be closed up in really awful weather but was otherwise always open, and I prefer them to have no front face, but to be large enough that the pigs can build a wall of straw to shelter behind in evil weather.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 05:11:50 pm »

The most expensive isn't always the best. Try to avoid those on a wooden frame. Pigs eat wood. Check how it is fastened together. Short screws aren't going to last long. Sit on railway sleepers to lengthen the life of the tins. You don't need a floor. Insulated if you can.

The recycled ones look OK but I have seen them sort of exploded but I wonder if that was a build up of straw.

Should be big enough for everyone to lie down without lying on each other once they are fully grown without falling out the door.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 06:36:10 pm »
I agree with the wood eating comment. Pigs just love chewing wooden frames or having a good old scratch against it.

Personally i would use 2" box metal as a frame then cover with metal. I've you have a good enough straw bed laid down (at least 10cm) then you shouldn't need to insulate the ark. Place a 'curtain' over the door, have it facing away from the predominant wind (ours is SW) and you'll find the amount of heat kept in the ark is amazing. 
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:46:26 pm »
If the pigs are going to be in a woods I imagine any shelter you have need only be  rudimentary as they will be already sheltered from the worst wind and rain. Three sides of corrugated tin I reckon to stop any breeze and another if you feel the need above that to stop the heaviest of downpours. Make sure you site the shelter in a well draining spot and not where any water collects as you'll  end up with a mud pit there.

Or just buy a standard metal ark but one should be enough for 5 pigs  I reckon, you can make your own ark I did last year its not too hard check my previous posts for the photos, the advantage of an ark is that its easy to move, the one I made was so light I can move it by hand.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:08:47 pm by Hogwarts »

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 06:56:58 pm »
You have to take into account the trees it is going to be under though. Could it withstand a medium size branch coming down on it? Maybe it's just the safety part of me raising it's ugly head as usual lol
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

CDC

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 09:56:57 pm »
Thankyou for all the advice - it's very helpful. Really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I am now off to order an ark...  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS