Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg Free Cakes - EASY PEASY PLEASE!!!  (Read 6046 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Egg Free Cakes - EASY PEASY PLEASE!!!
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:17:23 pm »
My 3 chooks have been on strike! I have 1 egg (yesterday laid) and that's for pancakes tomorrow!

Does anyone know of a simple cake recipe (really simple) that has no need for eggs? I have weird tastebuds so if a major replacement is bicarbonate or baking powder that would be a problem as I can't stand the taste of them - sister got into making Herman cakes a few years ago gave me some and all I could taste was this added horrible ingredient. Don't know why they called this the friendship cake as she ended up having lots of the blasted things bubbling around the kitchen as people eventually refused them!!

I keep basics in stock, flour, butter (piles of it, block and spreadable) dried fruit, various spices. Haven't yet thought of keeping egg equivalents though!!

Cooking - quickie in the microwave would be fab though I have found if it can be baked in oven it can go on MF stove!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Egg Free Cakes - EASY PEASY PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 06:32:19 am »
..sounds like a challenge..
I'm not into cakes or sweet stuff - the few things I make are usually for V or friends - but if I try to think this through (ready to be shot down) then essentially you are fluffing a batter up with air trapped in beaten egg or bubbles of a raising agent or both. The only raising agents i can think off are bicarbs or yeasts so how about a very fruity sweet bread? It won't be quick though but not time consuming.
Plaigerise that vanocka recipe, lose the egg, add a bit more sugar, activate an active yeast until it's really frothy for an exceptional raise and just bake it in a bread tin with a  sticky sugar syrup and flavoured glaze on top (perhaps some lemon juice and a little jam in the syrup?)
I'd be experimental but would need an oven....

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 10:08:46 am »
Good old google or equivalent

There is one on the bbc food site, haven’t tried it but it looks simple enough

Look for vegan or egg free cake recipes

Hth

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 04:36:36 am »
According to V (who does make cakes for herself sometimes) the only non baking powder type vegan recipes depend on fizzy water/lemonade and taste horrid.......

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 08:15:42 pm »
Try aqua faba, works a treat I've used it to make gluten free bread sometimes when I didn't want to use up all my eggs. Aqua faba - water from a can of chickpeas (3 tbls chick pea water to one egg), I have cooked chickpeas when making humus and used that water. Ok maybe its not so easy peasy but worth having a go - there is a whole facebook group dedicated to it  :D
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

smallholder147

• Joined Aug 2020
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 11:24:15 am »
I've just read your post and I tried an easy peasy bundt cake. Here's the recipe for those who have the same struggle

for 12 servings

100 g butter (soft)
200 g of sugar
1 packet of vanilla sugar
250 g flour
1 pack of baking powder
200 ml of milk
1 tbsp oil or butter for the pan

preparation
For the Gugelhupf without egg, first coat the pan with oil and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl with the mixer until frothy. Mix the flour with the baking powder, alternately stir into the dough with the milk.
Pour the dough into the mold and smooth it out with a spatula. Bake the cake for about 45 minutes. Let rest in the pan for a few minutes, then turn out onto a board lined with baking paper.

SabineLove33

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 10:52:16 am »

Hi,
If you do not want to use eggs for your cake, you can easy take bananas instead of them.
Just change your usual recipe and exchange the eggs with bananas. Of cause, for that you have to like the taste of bananas. It will not be the same flavor.
From my own experiences, this is really working good. I love bananas and the added flavor makes the cake even better for me. :)

Try it.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS