Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish TAS-ers - Anyone on here used ...  (Read 2276 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Scottish TAS-ers - Anyone on here used ...
« on: February 15, 2020, 10:33:00 pm »
Craigievern Poultry for replacement hens and/or ducks? Recommended or not (maybe by pm if not/why)

We had a bit of a disaster on the cockerel front last summer and are a bit short of hens in lay this spring, looking to buy in a batch of POL preferably, that I can then also use to breed replacement from (I am happy with Heinz 57 offspring, so breeds not that important).

If not, any recommendations for other suppliers  in North East England and/or Southern/Central Scotland?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Scottish TAS-ers - Anyone on here used ...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 10:57:42 pm »
I've used https://www.durhamhens.co.uk/hens-for-sale Durham Hens at Tow Law on the A68, and https://www.edinburghchickens.com/ at Rosewell near Penicuik.  The second one certainly buys in her hens at POL and they are kept in a barn until sale, the first I couldn't work out if they bred them themselves, but they do seem to be let out for a while each day.  Both places sell happy healthy hens.
If you get some hens from Craigievern I will be interested in your opinion about them.
Edinburgh Chickens has a wonderful tabby cat called Tomasina - we named one of our stripey hens after her  :hughen:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 11:21:06 pm »
Hi Anke,

Yes, we've had geese and ducks from Craigievern several times, and with no issues  :thumbsup: .

Edit - oh, and Sasso chicks for meat too, now I come to think of it  :yum: .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:55:56 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:39:46 am »
I have used Craigievern for the past 2 years.
I got a mixed lot of layer day olds which went on in turn to produce an even more mixed lot with my various cocks.
I have also had 2 dozen broiler day olds for the past 2 years. They grow really fast and taste really good. Out of the batch I probably lost 2 or 3 chicks each time but this I am sure was just down to pecking order and the runts being weeded out.
Not tried their ducks or geese yet but I will this spring.
Craigievern are the agent for Piggots in Norfolk or somewhere like that so I think they get o lot of their day olds shipped up for distribution around Scotland.
Anyway, in my experience they are good and reliable.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:11:07 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Fleecewife - I have looked at the Edinburgh Hens website - I am a bit unsure of the their slightly cutesy and cuddly layout, but I guess they are appealing to the city dweller... Have also seen Durham hens, and will be asking some of my Northeast contacts if they have had any from there.
I might just fancy a trip to Lomond though at some point...., esp as I am mulling over the idea of some ducks and maybe some meatchicks as well....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:04:23 pm »
We've used Craigievern for a number of years for POL and day old meat chicks. Very reliable, healthy stock. No problem recommending. In fact, I'll be collecting the 2020 batches soon!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:11 am »
Hi Anke,

Yes, we've had geese and ducks from Craigievern several times, and with no issues  :thumbsup: .

Edit - oh, and Sasso chicks for meat too, now I come to think of it  :yum: .

Womble did you get Sasso recently from there - as I've looked on the website and can't see any Sasso?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 05:58:39 pm »

It was probably three years ago [member=124905]Polyanya[/member]  . They definitely do still stock meat chicks, but I don't know what breed these days.

Best just give Jane a call. She's very helpful.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:50 pm »
Excuse me butting in Polyanya.
On Craigievern website go to day olds then at day old meat chicks open the 'download more info' and you will find Sasso included with others.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:45 am »
Many thanks Womble and graemeatwellbank I shall check it out - sorry for hijacking your thread Anke  :eyelashes:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS