Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe holding leg up but no sign of problem?  (Read 2677 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Ewe holding leg up but no sign of problem?
« on: February 15, 2020, 01:44:42 pm »
I have a ewe that looked a little tender on her front left leg on Weds.

Thursday she was holding it up. Friday the same. And again today. Managed to get her Thursday for a look. Foot looked good. Didn’t look gammy. Sprayed with antibiotic. Checked again Friday. Cleaned out her hoof this time (they get shelly hoof) and sprayed again. This morning she’s still holding it up. I haven’t checked it today yet but seems pointless as nothing to see the last two days.

She’s due to lamb in just over a couple of weeks and don’t want to stress her with handling. I did think about bringing her in to rest somewhere dry but that involves getting her into a little trailer and a ride back to shelter. The storm is here and we’ve seen her sitting outside by herself whilst the others are in the little building that’s in the field they’re in. I think because she can’t hop in there on three legs? I know sheep are designed to be outdoors but made me sad seeing her by herself.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:48:12 pm by tommytink »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Ewe holding leg up but no sign of problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:51:07 pm »
I would be a bit concerned if one ewe is separate from the rest of the flock... but probably not much you can do in this weather. If I have one lame this close to lambing they just have to limp until lambed, and then I check. AS long as she is able to graze (and you can see her to do so), she gets her share of hay/concentrate she should be fine. BUt things like twin lamb disease or milk fever can come on quickly, so if she is still staying separate from the flock and not eating I would intervene (twin lamb drench and an injection of Calciject).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:07:32 pm »
Everything Anke said  :thumbsup: plus, don't forget that their legs and feet get more sore the closer to lambing they get as they are carrying more weight plus the ligaments start to loosen up etc.  So it's extremely common to have a ewe appearing to be really quite lame in the final four weeks, but nothing to see (if it's safe to look - no tipping them up this close to lambing), so as long as she's eating you leave her be and plan to sort her out after she's lambed.  Then after lambing, 95 times out of 100, she's sound as a bell  ::) and needs no treatment at all.

Perhaps keep a note of which one it was and see if she does it every year - in which case you might decide it's not fair on her to keep putting her in lamb if she's in pain for the last few weeks each time, and / or you might try extra minerals / Rock salt etc, to see if that helps.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:16:51 pm »
Sheep even when an infection in the foot tend to try and put a little weight on it , if shes holding it up then it might suggest  damage to the leg eg knee ,shoulder . For her not to go with the others suggests  pain , even a very lame sheep trys to keep up with the flock it is in her DNA not to be seen as weak . As Anke says at this point in her gestation she can go down with twin lamb VERY quickly , I would have brought her inside once she separated her self to reduce stress and keep her warm  and maybe give her calcium borogluconate  to give a boost , it would do no harm .  Please keep a close eye on her tommorow
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:54:34 pm by shep53 »

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I genuinely think she may have rested outside due to not being physically able to get in to the little building. It has two steps up, one of which is quite high. She wouldn’t have been able to walk straight in.

We did check her foot again yesterday. Rinsed it out with hibiscrub and sprayed up again. Still nothing obvious to see. On the lookout for scald as it’s wet etc but where they are naturally light between the toes it wasn’t scummy or gammy.

Today we checked and she was stood with foot to the floor. Then she was on her knees. Then she was making her way on three legs. I made sure she ate cake with the others. Afterwards she went with the flock and was grazing. This afternoon she was stood with the others again. She’s definitely not separated herself or been left behind. I felt she was looking easier on it than she has done the past couple of days.

It is hard to know what to do for the best most of the time! Aware that I don’t want to stress her - so more stress bringing her back in trailer, or leaving her there? I guess this is where experience helps as you learn how to make these decisions.

Obviously will continue to monitor. They’re due to come back in a week and a bits time so hopefully she will be fit to take the short stroll home.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 12:49:27 am »
Now you’ve described the access to the shelter I’m wondering if she hurt herself jumping down from it and so is reluctant to go in again.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 10:28:48 am »
Glad she's  eating and moving around as part of the flock  , rule of thumb if the foot doesn't look manky and doesn't smell manky , doesn't hurt when squeezed  and doesn't feel hot when cupped in your hand  then you have to guess at a joint / ligament problem  , you could talk to your vet and he may suggest  a pain killer / anti inflammatory . We all make the best guess we can for the situation and the animal

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 11:20:32 am »
Thought I’d just leave an update for future reference should anyone have the same sort of thing.

Over the following days she improved slowly; willing to put the foot to the floor whilst standing (instead of holding aloft), then apply pressure to it whilst walking (as opposed to three-legging it around), and today she is walking around a lot easier. She’s still a little light on it but using it as normal. I think she must’ve maybe taken a knock on the leg or similar? Seeing as we checked her foot and no apparent issues. Plus the additional weight she’s carrying maybe prolonged it from getting better?

They’re coming back this week so will attempt a slow stroll along the track but it’ll be up to them to set the pace so will wait and see!

Thanks for the advice as always :)

Muddy Wellies

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 12:37:41 pm »
I've got a sheep with exactly the same thing!
Holding one of her front feet up, no foot rot, so i'm guessing she's caught it in a rabbit hole or summat...
Yesterday she was eating fine - today not so much. I've brought her near the house - she's being contrary so not managed to get her in the shed, but the storm might persuade her!
Not due to lamb while early April - should I give her anything? Twin lamb drench?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 01:29:49 pm »
Since she's being " contrary " then at the moment she's lively and reasonably happy , so you just need to watch her and see what happens , if she doesn't go back to eating well in the next day or two then start to worry depending on her mood . If her limp seems worse then maybe speak to vet for painkiller /anti inflammatory

Muddy Wellies

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 01:52:00 pm »
That's a good point that being contrary is positive!
Thank you :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS