Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broad beans totally wiped out  (Read 1720 times)

WishfulThinker21

• Joined Jan 2020
Broad beans totally wiped out
« on: February 10, 2020, 09:30:28 am »
Hi all, my overwintering broad beans (the sutton) planted in november, have been totally wiped out by what looks like foot rot or chocolate spot. I can't find any photos similar to this affecting broad beans online. Can anyone shed some light ? Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Broad beans totally wiped out
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
They have just rotted in the ground - it is too wet. But if you can re-sow under cover (in pots) now you aren't going to loose much wrt early cropping. I never sow earlier than February, precisely because of that (and the mice/voles of course)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Broad beans totally wiped out
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 05:18:58 pm »
I've just sown my broad beans today, in pots in the polytunnel, suspended in their bakers' tray from the crop bars, above the reach of vermin, and covered with a polycarbonate sheet until they germinate. They are in a JI multipurpose compost with added spent mushroom compost, which seems quite warm, especially compared with the cold wet glaur I sowed them in last year (they still came up but slowly and a few turned to mush).  There is so little sun this year though that I might have been better to wait another couple of weeks.  We'll see.  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS