Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: large combs-wet and cold  (Read 3816 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
large combs-wet and cold
« on: December 13, 2013, 07:05:25 pm »
I would dearly like some Minorca bantams but I do live in a wet and windy part of Scotland, where temps so far have reached -5 + windchill and the wind seems almost constant.  I am building a permanent pen for the araucana and was going to split some off for some bantams-have it roofed and protected from wind as much as I can. Some seem to think I'll run into trouble with their combs though-anyone keep any large combed breeds up here and do you have any problems?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: large combs-wet and cold
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:32:43 pm »
Not had Minorca bantams, but we kept several rare breeds when we were up in Scotland (rural West, Glasgow latitude)  -Double Laced Barnevelder, Light Sussex, Cream Legbar, Silver Campine, Marsh Daisy & a few others I can't remember (my OH's passion).  They free-ranged together over the winter (when we didn't need the eggs for incubating), though they did have stone byres & straw barns to shelter in.  They were all fine,- even over the worst 2 winters Scotland had in 50 years.

I don't think it's the wet & wind that affects the combs so much as frostbite - I think some of the folks that show their birds use Vaseline to protect combs & wattles.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:45:35 pm »
Hi,
I used to breed minorca bantams, lovely birds, I live in the Scottish Borders, 1000ft above sea level at the bottom of a hill where we get some pretty awful wet and cold weather.
In my experience the wet and wind wasn't a problem, but prolonged hard frost would nip the points from the cocks combs, although if it wasn't too bad they would regrow to a certain degree. That first really cold winter we had a couple of years back I did lose a cock that got badly frostbitten, but it was really hard frost day and night for about 3 weeks! I did used to smear vaseline onto their combs, but I didn't think it was very successful. My birds were in a run made from pheasant pens, so there wasn't much protection from the wind.
I think with your set up they would be worth trying, as they really are nice wee birds.
Regards
Sue
(Cross posted with Beewyched)
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:52:21 pm »
I believe frostbite is mostly a problem when the overnight coop is poorly ventilated and condensation forms on the comb then freezes.  We live on top of a hill exposed to the wind from all directions and temperature sometimes down to minus 16.  Our Dorkings, which have very large combs, have never suffered from frostbite but we smear Vaseline all over the comb and reapply if a particularly cold snap is forecast.  The coops are well ventilated, and almost all coops are under cover in a pole barn through the Winter.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:12:19 pm »
thanks all-the most useful info I've had on this so far! it the weather got to 2011 temps, I could bring them in-either to hay barn/feed room or utility room. what sort of size are the bantam eggs Cheviot?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:29:33 pm »
im sure putting Vaseline on the combs helps against frostbite. if that helps.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:47:07 am »
We have English Leghorn Bantams. The combs are prone to frost damage and we use Vaseline on them which does provide a few degrees more resistance. But once the nightime temperature gets below -4 we used to bring them inside. Once the comb goes blue you are not far off frostbite on the points, which then go white and fall off. With frostbite comes sterility in cockerels due to the body temperature falling so low. In Winter we kept the little bantams in a greenhouse which we preheated with a gas brooder lamp on very cold mornings before letting them out. A lot of trouble I know, but they are very sweet and lay well. That was in a windswept part of Staffordshire -now they are in Gascony we still have the same problem.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:56:25 pm »
If you are building a permanent pen maybe you could design it to try to keep the temperature higher in that area.

You could plant shrubs around the perimeter that could provide both wind protection and food.

I have my compost bins in the hen run. The chickens help by turning the compost for me and of course I am not feeding them the kitchen scraps  ;) On cold days they often sit on top of the heap to benefit from the warmth from the compost. I was thinking of constructing a  little shelter with perches but no base for on top of the bin (it's a wooden box one) so that they could choose to stay there instead of the house.

You can also use large rocks around an area to raise the temperature slightly. They will absorb any warmth during the day and then radiate it at night - though this doesn't work when it's freezing all day too. Similarly, something like a large black IBC full of water would have an effect. The effect isn't huge but might be enough to help a bit.

Also, if your coop is suitable for it you might think about deep littering as that will also provide some warmth in the coop.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 02:54:24 pm »
good ideas, thanks. there will be lots of planting here!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »
If you can put a coop against a south-facing brick or block wall it will stay a couple of degrees warmer as heat absorbed during the day is slowly released overnight.

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 08:37:32 pm »
Hi,
thanks all-the most useful info I've had on this so far! it the weather got to 2011 temps, I could bring them in-either to hay barn/feed room or utility room. what sort of size are the bantam eggs Cheviot?
I hope this makes sense, they lay an egg which I would describe as a large bantam or small hen egg, it's a good size egg for the size of the bird.
Regards
Sue

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 11:55:36 am »
Hi,
I hope this makes sense, they lay an egg which I would describe as a large bantam or small hen egg, it's a good size egg for the size of the bird.
Regards
Sue

thanks-pick up a trio at the Nationals  :excited:

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 01:06:12 pm »
Hi,
I'm sure you'll enjoy them, they really are nice birds.
Just one other thing, because they have such large ear lobes, you need to be aware the lobes can easily be damaged on the wire mesh on the sides of the pen, or if you use a box type feeder as opposed to a round feeder, the damage doesn't seem to bother the chickens, it just spoils the look of them.
Enjoy your new birds
Regards
Sue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS