Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs Back  (Read 1908 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Pigs Back
« on: January 25, 2020, 05:49:49 pm »
Our 2 pigs went to Dingwall on the 19th of this month. Our local butcher got them Friday morning and we collected them today. Butcher was full of praise for the meat.He wanted to know how old they were, how I had kept them and what I fed them on.  These pigs were a new breed for me. Landrace cross Saddleback. Very nice natured. Both female. The small paddock they had is well turned over but it will recover.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Pigs Back
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:54:19 pm »
Congratulations!   :trophy:  It's always pleasing when a butcher compliments one :)

My butcher in Cumbria was very complimentary about my Saddleback x OSB.  Maybe it makes a good cross!

If you have the info and don't mind sharing... How old were they, what was the deadweight, and what was did the backfat measure?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 07:03:02 pm »
Well done ! Its always nice to have compliments like that from someone one in the trade. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 07:05:50 pm »

Well done. As Sally said always good to hear your butcher is impressed.

Some lines of Saddleback tend to run to fat more easily than other. I think it is the Wessex lines as opposed to the Essex lines. Crossing with a Landrace will compliment the Saddleback.

OSB are slower growing than some traditional breeds and can be finished as a fairly lean carcase so again SBXOSB would be a good mix.

All that said feeding and having an eye has a lot to do with it too.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:11:39 pm »
Congratulations!   :trophy:  It's always pleasing when a butcher compliments one :)

My butcher in Cumbria was very complimentary about my Saddleback x OSB.  Maybe it makes a good cross!

If you have the info and don't mind sharing... How old were they, what was the deadweight, and what was did the backfat measure?
They were 7 months old, the invoice from Munro Ltd does not tell me the deadweight and all I know about the backfat is the butcher said they were lean and not overfat.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:08:46 pm »
Brilliant, thanks sabrina.  Backfat probably less than 19mm then, that was our local butcher's max.

Thanks for posting, it's great to get info like this from other smallholders  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 04:30:30 pm »
Brilliant, thanks sabrina.  Backfat probably less than 19mm then, that was our local butcher's max.

Thanks for posting, it's great to get info like this from other smallholders  :-*

Hubby worked out that we have a 120 KG of meat back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS