Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dangerous Animal act andy hybrid pigs  (Read 10872 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Dangerous Animal act andy hybrid pigs
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2020, 10:24:13 pm »
I have decided to stop following this thread.  It seems to me, [member=99988]SmallWelshBarn[/member], that you don't really want to listen to advice so I wish you good luck my dear Sir with what ever option you decide to implement. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:32:07 pm by arobwk »

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2020, 11:24:14 pm »

The policy of LA's is to generally avoid new stiles where possible and replace existing ones with gates when they need replacing, if landowner agrees. Nothing to do with dogs but stiles are difficult for some people with mobility issues. I suppose what a grid does rather than a gate is allow unhindered passage along the right of way.

But they've told him he can't have gates!!  ::)

(Frustration at the footpath people, not at you, harmony!)
Exactly I want a gate I’m not allowed to put a gate on my own land that’s most annoying.
So the next best option is a cattle grid that seems to be acceptable.
In relation to dogs they might be welcome in the footpath blurb they however have no legal rights most walkers don’t keep dogs in close control it only takes one dog to devastate a flock why would I want to take that risk.
I’ll meet my legal obligations in relation to people, as for dogs that’s not my problem and I’m not going to waste money or time on a solution for a dog.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2020, 11:10:30 am »

The policy of LA's is to generally avoid new stiles where possible and replace existing ones with gates when they need replacing, if landowner agrees. Nothing to do with dogs but stiles are difficult for some people with mobility issues. I suppose what a grid does rather than a gate is allow unhindered passage along the right of way.

But they've told him he can't have gates!!  ::)

(Frustration at the footpath people, not at you, harmony!)

But the OP isn't replacing stiles with gates but has put in new gates, which are an obstruction on a previously unobstructed stretch of footpath. And new stiles would also be a new obstruction. The easiest and safest way to contain the pigs and allow free passage is to put gates in the existing fence line but the OP doesn't want to do that so the grid option seems to be the alternative although it is a suggestion that is new to me.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2020, 11:54:25 am »
So if I'm reading this right there will be grids that will stop the pigs going down the public footpath that walkers will have to walk over? I'm sure grids will be fine until a walker trips and injures themselves on them?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2020, 12:03:14 pm »
I assume the grids will be across the gateways not the path?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2020, 02:16:37 pm »
I assume the grids will be across the gateways not the path?

Currently you walk along a fenced path from either end of the field, which has a gap in it to allow the pigs to cross. So you come to the pig crossing point and have to go through a gate out of one piece of fenced path and through another gate into the next section, walking across the pig crossing point. The gates are deemed unlawful and have to be removed. The OP wants to keep the pig crossing point open at all times so wont put gates in the existing fencing lines to allow unhindered passage along the FP hence the suggestion of grids instead of gates. Phew!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:00 pm »
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2020, 09:34:03 pm »
While I wasn't planning to follow this thread any more, I came across an interesting statement on Cornwall Council website as regards Public Rights of Way and thought I would post one more time ... "A dog is considered a 'usual accompaniment' of a person on foot."

I think that could well imply that the practicable passing of dogs along a right of way does need to be considered.  SmallWelshBarn may wish to ignore dog accessibility, but I'm thinking walkers may well consider it legitimate to complain to relevant authorities if he does !?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 09:39:18 pm by arobwk »

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2020, 11:12:33 pm »
While I wasn't planning to follow this thread any more, I came across an interesting statement on Cornwall Council website as regards Public Rights of Way and thought I would post one more time ... "A dog is considered a 'usual accompaniment' of a person on foot."

I think that could well imply that the practicable passing of dogs along a right of way does need to be considered.  SmallWelshBarn may wish to ignore dog accessibility, but I'm thinking walkers may well consider it legitimate to complain to relevant authorities if he does !?
Dogs have no rights only people in relation to rights of way that’s legal position. Stile have been the normal way for years to secure land and maintain access for the public.
No one can force a land owner to change from a stile to a gate.
However if the land owner changes from a stile to a gate he can’t then return to a gate.
Some land owners provide access for dogs next to a stile but this is not a legal requirement.
Please read and understand the actual legislation.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2020, 06:18:37 am »
Please read and understand the actual legislation.

That's a bit rich coming from the person that committed a criminal offence by obstructing a right of way. If you had read and understood the legislation beforehand all the problems cited in this thread probably would have been avoided.

Worth also noting that stiles are more likely to result in accidents and injuries to walkers. If these come about because of the stile, e.g. it is in poor repair or slippery, then you could be held responsible. Replacing stiles with gates isn't just about more convenient access for people (or dogs), it is a practical way to lower your liability risk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS