Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problem ram  (Read 1724 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Problem ram
« on: January 12, 2020, 01:55:40 pm »
Ok folks... I need logistical words of wisdom  :roflanim:

I have 2 rams- 1 poll Dorset & the other is a lleyn. Both have been here for 2 years- the Dorset breeds fat lambs and is no problem at all, the lleyn has gone on ewes for replacement ewe lambs and has an ever increasing attitude problem. The plan was to sell him this year and replace with another lleyn tup- but sell once the replacement is here so the Dorset has company. Actually he will be culled as I won’t pass on his problems to someone else.

But I think the lleyn needs to go sooner rather than later as his attitude is not improving  :rant:  my problem is what to do with the Dorset for company. The only other sheep here are in lamb ewes and ewe lambs.

I’ve got a fair few triplets expected at lambing- what age/size would a wether lamb be able to go in with a ram ? That is my only other option for company, or I keep the Dorset ram inside for a few months until I find a new ram. Thoughts ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Problem ram
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:45:25 pm »
Depending on your health status - can you get a couple of wethers from someone nearby, or a couple of wethered store lambs?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:45:46 pm »
Buy the new ram now.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:55:20 pm »
Buy the new ram now.

That’s my preferred option but can’t seem to find any for sale within about 300 miles.

I’d rather not buy store lambs in, we aren’t mv but try to keep the flock closed now other than a ram every couple of years

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 05:30:10 pm »
Put him in with your ewes. I keep my ram in with them till the lambs are about 2 months old.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 08:41:31 pm »
Put him in with your ewes. I keep my ram in with them till the lambs are about 2 months old.

How do you work this with feeding ewe nuts? My ewes are fed for about a month after lambing so I’m not sure that would work. Good idea though.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 10:07:46 pm »

How do you work this with feeding ewe nuts? My ewes are fed for about a month after lambing so I’m not sure that would work. Good idea though.
I had a problem with a ram becoming very aggressive around the feed trough with the pregnant ewes, had to remove him (freezer). Depends really how placid your Dorset is...

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 10:31:37 pm »
He’s quiet enough and never any trouble (hence why he’s staying  :roflanim: ) but definitely doesn’t need anymore feed ;D

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 11:21:23 pm »
I feed mine hay and high energy and protein Rumenco blocks till about a week before lambing. Always had good weight lively lambs and milky ewes on this system, and no problem with urinary calculi in rams.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 10:16:31 am »

Feed an all stock mix or grass pellets. 

Grass pellets are 16-18% protein, you should find they are plenty for your ewes.  You might find it beneficial to moisten them slightly with some soaked shredded sugar beet while they get used to them.

Most “all stock” feeds are 16% protein.  The type of ewes you have - milky ones - should do fine on those.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 03:33:12 pm »
I would also put him in with the in lamb ewes while I look for a replacement Lleyn Ram. If it got to lambing and I hadn't found a ram, I would just go ahead and feed them and take my chances. Being a ram he will be more developed than a wether. Turn him out with the ewes who have lambed in the first batch.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 04:32:31 pm »
I really don’t want to put the Dorset out with the ewes and lambs. Once my ewe lambs come back from winter grazing the plan is to run them with the ewes and lambs too. The lleyn is in meat withdrawal until lambing in a month anyhow. I think I will just have to keep him and manage him carefully until I find a replacement.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 05:08:12 pm »
As you will be keeping him for a while ask around on breed websites and facebook for a replacement.  You may find one reasonably local that has not been advertised as it is the wrong time of year for actively selling rams.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS