Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep shower costs  (Read 2030 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Sheep shower costs
« on: January 01, 2020, 05:05:51 pm »
Just a quickie for a change!

Anyone had a mobile dip/shower - how much did you pay??

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sheep shower costs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 10:14:07 am »
Are you asking since the quote has scared you ?  Traveling and set up costs are the same no matter how many sheep then the chemical and water have to be mixed and even for your 20 ? sheep the bath has to be filled  .  For you dipping may take 15mins but all the other things may take a couple of hours , so cost per sheep is going to be high . Have the crovect and zermex not solved the problem ?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 09:21:15 pm »
Hi Shep - no, neither the Zermex or the Crovect seemed to work completely. We think it may have been a combination of scab and then lice too as they were both rubbing (which we’ve been told usually indicates it’s scab) and pulling wool (which indicates lice).

The quote may have scared me had I got it first!! Felt so stressed and worried about them all the time I wasn’t even thinking about the cost, I just wanted it done. Got the call New Year’s Eve to say it could be done the next morning. So we then had to collect those mad Badgers from the neighbour’s field which was fun (one skipped the hurdles and went for a run around the cemetery across the road  ::) ).

Anyhow, it was a sheep shower. So they went in in groups and the solution was sprayed from all directions. The guy said they may still rub etc out of habit. And they have been doing it forever so I imagine it could be a while before they realise they’re  :fc: not actually itchy anymore.

I imagined there would be a set up fee plus a cost per sheep, as it depends on number of sheep as to how many times it has to be done. Or maybe he did a cost per “go”. Understand there are the chemicals and prob part cost to cover disposal of the solution, licences etc when it’s expired.

I just wondered what anyone else had paid. Believe me I would prob have paid double to have it guaranteed to sort them all out!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:54:17 am »
What active ingredient did you use in the shower ---presume it only treated lice as OPs are only approved for dipping not showers/jetters

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 10:04:19 am »
OPs?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:07:43 am »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:09:52 am by twizzel »

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 10:50:30 am »
I've never used a shower (or dip), but I would of thought for the use of the guys time, equipment, chemicals and the short notice it would be around £75-£100 for 20 or so sheep?

What did you pay?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:40 am »
£90. So around that mark. Hard to know when you’ve no comparison and always interested to compare. That’s for 32 sheep. I think it was short notice for us rather than him though!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS