Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happy Christmas  (Read 2473 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Happy Christmas
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:14:14 am »
Happy Christmas everyone.  Saying it today as I know many people will not be able to log in tomorrow.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Happy Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 11:40:59 am »

:merryxmas:

We celebrated the Solstice, so Wednesday will be spent in the garden and outside on our own, then family on Boxing Day.  But to those of you who celebrate Christmas itself, then do have a lovely time.

:xmaswindow: :santa: :reindeer: :carols: :xmas: :hohoho: :turkey: :stocking: :celebrate: :santariding: :xmaswindow:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 12:34:51 pm »
Solstice is our main celebration here too, and lots of our folk go off to see family for Christmas itself.  Tomorrow those of us here will have a special brunch, sing carols to the livestock, go for a walk on the beach and have a roast of our lamb after dark.  I’ll go see my family somewhen in January.

Seasons greetings to all, however or whenever you celebrate! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:18:59 pm »
Solstice is our main celebration here too, and lots of our folk go off to see family for Christmas itself.  Tomorrow those of us here will have a special brunch, sing carols to the livestock, go for a walk on the beach and have a roast of our lamb after dark.  I’ll go see my family somewhen in January.

Seasons greetings to all, however or whenever you celebrate! 

Same here

We celebrated the Solstice, so Wednesday will be spent in the garden and outside on our own, then family on Boxing Day.  But to those of you who celebrate Christmas itself, then do have a lovely time.

:xmaswindow: :santa: :reindeer: :carols: :xmas: :hohoho: :turkey: :stocking: :celebrate: :santariding: :xmaswindow:

Same here we will swap gifts have a nice meal, Goose this year, then the rest of the day doing what we usually do  around the croft.

So seasons greetings to you all and your animals ( and vegetables if you wish )

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 10:39:27 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 12:37:53 am »
Merry Christmas to all TASers ,
I meant to celebrate Solstice but other things got in the way. At least got my outside lights on  ;D

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 02:05:05 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 04:20:14 am »

Merry / Happy Christmas to ALL

Vile Traveller

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 05:39:08 am »
Happy Christmas, everyone!  :santa:

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 06:46:13 am »
 :wave: Happy Christmas to you all too

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »
Seasons Greetings to all. Whenever you have your celebrations, let it be a good one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 10:28:55 am »
I'm reading the Outlander books by Diane Gabaldon just now - I think I'm on number 7.  It mentions a tradition in Jamie's family of saying thank you to the animal that they kill to eat before butchering it.  I wondered if any of my smallholder friends did that.  I think it says it's a Highlands tradition.  I'd never heard of it before.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 05:02:51 pm »
I'm reading the Outlander books by Diane Gabaldon just now - I think I'm on number 7.  It mentions a tradition in Jamie's family of saying thank you to the animal that they kill to eat before butchering it.  I wondered if any of my smallholder friends did that.  I think it says it's a Highlands tradition.  I'd never heard of it before.

We do.  It's one of the reasons we do name all our animals, whether they are destined for the table or not (most are not, just sheep which don't make the breeding grade).  By naming them, we show our respect for the animal which has given (not exactly voluntarily of course) its life, and we can express our thanks to it by name.  More, we do not sell meat to people who just want 'meat', only those who will also respect our sheep and understand that they were living, happy creatures.  Incidentally, we are not religious or happy-clappy or pagans or any other type of label, just ordinary country folk who appreciate the bounty of our farm and our world.
I first heard of the idea as a native North American principal.  Perhaps Diana Gabaldon, being from America, adapted the idea for her books from the native Indian way.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 05:04:46 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 07:10:40 pm »

I first heard of the idea as a native North American principal.  Perhaps Diana Gabaldon, being from America, adapted the idea for her books from the native Indian way.
  She says in the book that it is a Highlanders tradition.  I did try to google but perhaps its not something that would be on there

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS