Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Globe Artichokes and Aubergines - any advice?  (Read 1326 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Globe Artichokes and Aubergines - any advice?
« on: January 09, 2020, 04:53:04 pm »

I've decided to try aubergines again after all, and globe artichokes.  I'm OK with the aubergines but I've only grown globe artichokes once before and they all got frosted  :( .  My (late) Dad used to grow globe artichokes in Norfolk and had beautiful bushy perennial plants with delicious flower heads, more than they could eat.
Mine will have to be inside the polytunnel up here in Scotland, but the temp inside can get down to minus 10 frequently, so any advice please for soil enrichment, cropping, cutting back for winter and protection from frost and mice.  I shall aim for four plants, grown from seed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Globe Artichokes and Aubergines - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:25:07 pm »
Growing artichokes is in the lower part of my growing list Fw, but I did research a while back. 

From what I recall, they do not like deep frost or very wet cold winter soil. If soil is well drained, a good thick anti-frost cover/mulch over the crowns might be OK, but they can also be dug-up and over-wintered in a dry-ish compost medium in a protected situation. 
I also seem to think there are newer varieties that are quite a bit hardier than others.

If you find the right solution, please do post again idc as I might have worked through the planting list by then and would be interested in any successes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:44:22 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Globe Artichokes and Aubergines - any advice?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:41:08 pm »
Thanks arobwk.  The plants will be fine in the tunnel for wet - if anything it's too dry in there in winter, but cold, that will be the problem.  I've just acquired some triple layer big bubble wrap which with straw will hopefully keep the crowns warm - trouble is it will also be ideal for the mice!
I've decided to get plants rather than seeds to give them a head start.

No other advice yet so I'll start trawling the web....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS