Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Messy Male  (Read 1856 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Messy Male
« on: December 18, 2019, 09:00:16 pm »
Hi, I have had a male on loan, going back soon.
When he came he had been running out with females, and was very clean and lovely coat.
Because of weather here, mine are mainly inside at this time of year, and he has pee'd himself into a real mess, frustration I should tnink.
Any advice for cleaning him up before I take him back?
Don't want to give a full wash with the cold and damp we have just now, wondering if a sponge, hairdryer then brush would do the job?
TIA,

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Messy Male
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 12:55:38 am »
But I've promised to take him back this weekend and I'm ashamed of the mess I've let him get into, he's a long coated Toggenburg, so you can imagine what state his front quarters are, hes quite a pet at home.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 06:36:49 am »
Echo what SC says, he'll only get in a mess again. It's not something you've let happen, it's nature doing it's thing.If you really want to, a bucket of hot water and shampoo and sponge him off and towel dry, will remove some but not all and he'll still be stained.  Remember to wear rubber gloves else you'll stink too.I've got 5 young angora bucks to shear in a few weeks, yuk.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 01:19:56 pm »
That will be why he was clean and hardly smelled when we collected him, he was running out with the girls, tried to let him out with mine and he just ran them round, picked on my old retired girl and she ended up falling, he jumped on her while she was down, so he is in alongside them but a separate pen.
Interesting I have 2 males I didn't manage to sell, in a separate building, perfectly clean and not a whiff!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 03:45:08 pm »
Yep, I would do a sponging down of his front end, do his feet (always appreciated when returning goats on loan), and if you can (and he is amenable) use the hair dryer. But goatkeepers will understand if you cannot do that, I would!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 01:28:08 pm »
I didn't do anything, ran out of time  :) , apart from trying to brush him, thinking he was dry so would brush easily, coat wouldn't come clean and shiny  :( .
Thanks all  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS