Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Organic Chicken Feed  (Read 2278 times)

Woodsidearran

• Joined Mar 2018
Organic Chicken Feed
« on: October 19, 2019, 09:38:24 am »
Hi Everyone,
Just looking to see who everyone uses for organic chicken food.  The price seems to be going up every time I look anyone got any suggestions of who to use.
cheers

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Organic Chicken Feed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 07:38:24 am »
We found organic way too expensive and settled for Smallholder layers pellets which have no GM ingredients and no chemical colourants- 'yolk enhancers' they call them. None of our customers were prepared to pay extra for organic eggs anyway, but they were attracted to the natural colourants rather than the usual chemical colourants and they all said the yolks had great colour.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 11:32:20 am »
We found organic way too expensive and settled for Smallholder layers pellets which have no GM ingredients and no chemical colourants- 'yolk enhancers' they call them.

Same here.  Plus we try to avoid soya in all our feeds, and most organic feeds have a preponderance of soya.  Because there is little certified GM-free but not full-on organic soya, and the Smallholder ranges use British-grown cereals and do not use soya, their pig and chicken feeds best suit our ethics. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:35:27 pm »
I use mole valley.  I get min order 25 bags on pallet.  Im sure other direct farmers feed do the same think it works out £12 per bag.

Hi peak is also the other option but honestly they drive you mad when they have nothing in the mill and you have to wait for it to be mixed.  Works out the same however there is a £50 courier charge or ordering 1 tonne is the better option (I would mix lamb creep, all rounder and poultry).

This is the issue with organic feed its hard to source and its expensive. But its still cheaper than the £16 Ive been quoted for the small holder range.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS