Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much for a diy coop  (Read 4748 times)

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
how much for a diy coop
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:38:30 pm »

nothing special but i want to build something out of pallets on the bare minimum i got a ready source of pallets i can get about 100 a week free. im going to start having bonfires burning the rubbish in the garden but i like wood on the fire so will use the rubbish bits in that. on a guesstimation what would be better screws or nails, and which size would you go for i really don't want to make one but im thinking if i can get pallets free i may aswell have a go at making something i want/need as its coming to winter i may aswell do something useful with my time now. so main question is how much would i need to spend on nails and screws etc. im not good with making things much so how would you go about it.Im thinking of something similar as this>>

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-storage/larchlap-garden-storage/overlap-tool-chest-43/larchlap-overlap-tool-chest-43-4-by-3

any help or plans would be great

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: how much for a diy coop
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:43:47 am »
so main question is how much would i need to spend on nails and screws etc.

About a tenner I should think, or less if you went with cheapo screws.

There is a book on building with pallets which you might be able to order from your local library. Or you could do what I did, which was to search the interweb until I found a picture of one I liked, and then shamelessly copied it!  ;)

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:54:38 pm »
haulage companies will buy used pallets. Sell em and buy some decent timber for buidling your hen house

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:24:55 pm »
a lot of the pallet wood is good enough for animal housing. we have built a 8x4one. its pretty hard to get the slats off intact but its fun building something out of scrap wood. worst thing that happens is that you have lots of fire wood. a hundred a week would take a lot of work.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:38:05 pm »
Good idea to sell the pallets!

What you have to watch with coops from pallets is that red mite love all the nooks and crannys' that appear when using pallets. You would need to creosote the inside and probably line the inside with plywood (stained too) to prevent infestation.

I made a run for the chooks with pallets, now that makes more sense. Sure is a pain in the *rse getting the pallets apart though.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:27:31 pm »
i was thinking if worse comes to worse just to cut off the blocks so you cut the plank down so much each side if that makes sense. 1st thing is 1st though i have decided i need to build a roof for my filly before the bad weather sets in so the hen house will be on hold for at least 3 weeks while brother is away

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:48:50 pm »
don't use the ones with blocks in the corners try and get the ones with the solid wood middles they are a lot easier to take apart. plus you get 4 pieces of 2x3 wood that you can use as a frame.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 09:42:12 pm »
I took mine apart by making a gap between the pieces then cutting the nails with a reciprocating saw and knocking the nails back through the way they went in.

Hope that helps,

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS