Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Billy Stud Service in the West Midlands???  (Read 2300 times)

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
Billy Stud Service in the West Midlands???
« on: October 17, 2019, 03:45:19 pm »
Hello,

I have one Saanen nanny who I would like to breed from, but I do not want to buy in a billy. Do any of you know where there is a stud service in the West Midlands/Shropshire area? (I have looked but only found pygmy goats for stud).

Thanks!
Margaret

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Billy Stud Service in the West Midlands???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 07:32:57 pm »
The "Goatyfriends" facebook page has lots of goatkeepers from all over UK on it - if you join and give your area and current health status (CAE mainly) I am sure you would be able to find a suitable male. I doubt that anyone on here would be able to help...

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 02:42:30 pm »
Thanks Anke,

I tried to join the group but it is still pending....

I'll keep looking for now!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:18:32 pm »
Sandra Jones (Sandcroft herd) is in that area and has GG's and pure Saanens, no idea if she has a male though at the moment. You should be able to find her through goatyfriends on Facebook. I don't have any other direct contact details I am afraid. You would definitely need a CAE certificate though.

Herbs,Hens and Spaniels

• Joined Dec 2017
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 09:39:30 pm »
Hi Margaret!  :wave:
I'm near Rugby in Warwickshire, not sure how far that is from you but I have an Angora billy. I've never done stud services nor taken any of my goats anywhere before but if push came to shove I'd be willing to help you out!
Soph  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:54:24 am »
Hi Margaret!  :wave:
I'm near Rugby in Warwickshire, not sure how far that is from you but I have an Angora billy. I've never done stud services nor taken any of my goats anywhere before but if push came to shove I'd be willing to help you out!
Soph  :)
The resulting offspring from a Saanen and Angora mating would be next to worthless... whereas a good dairy type male will produce quality offspring if the dam is also a reasonable milker...

Herbs,Hens and Spaniels

• Joined Dec 2017
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 03:58:44 pm »
I never suggested in any way that it would be! It was just that if this lady was running out of time to get her goat in kid and was desperate then I was local and had a billy that works. I was just trying to be helpful.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 07:25:57 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies!
I have actually now brought a billy who was for sale very close by because my nanny wasn't tested for CAE and apparently it takes a long time for the test results to come back and I was worried that the breeding season would be over at that point. I will get her tested sometime anyway. He is in with my nanny now and he does smell, but I don't really mind it, it is not as bad as the pigs!!
Bramble&Rose Dairy, I was actually considering buying an Angora billy, since they are gorgeous! Thank you for your kind offer anyway!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS