NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Hay racks....  (Read 317 times)

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
Hay racks....
« on: October 14, 2019, 01:00:12 pm »
I'm after ideas of hay racks that will stand up to one of our angora goats who has totally destroyed two of the basket trype racks, he just seems to keep pushing/rubbing with his horns till they break. I have thought of the old style horse hay racks but the gaps are quite big, what do others use?
Thanks
Voss Electric Fence

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hay racks....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:11:05 pm »
Where are you fixing the racks?  I've got the basket type too and a couple of my Bagot boys also hammer them!  However, I've found that hanging them on chains means they're more resilient (the hayracks not the goats, although they've been threatened once or twice with the same fate)!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:12:03 pm »
They were fixed to the walls, so maybe your idea Scarlet dragon might work.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:00:16 am »
Cylinders of weld mesh are better for angoras, they don't get quite so much hay in their fleeces.
But even with really heavy gauge that I could only just roll into a circle the big buck still managed to flatten one over a winter.It's just the nature of bucks in season, I think.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 10:57:20 am »
They were fixed to the walls, so maybe your idea Scarlet dragon might work.

Don't get me wrong, they still take a pounding and the bars are occasionally bent, but the "flexibility" of the swing seems to help a lot!  I do often find them in odd places where they've caught a horn and managed to unhook it and fling it across the barn though (or charge out to the field complete with a hayrack 'fascinator'.

I also had Jollyballs hanging for them to bash, but they don't seem too interested in those!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 03:16:10 pm »
Dogwalker, No excuse with this lad he's a wether!!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 04:03:45 pm »
Just wanting to show he's big and tough.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 11:29:21 pm »
Dogwalker, No excuse with this lad he's a wether!!

Does he have a pal to butt heads with or is he improvising with the hayrack... in which case maybe he'd like a JollyBall to play with???  Or a pumpkin/neep on a rope will do the same thing and provide enrichment while he's feasting?

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 10:07:35 am »
Generally he is with three others, another angora and two dairy goats, but, he was bottle fed and is somewhat bullied by the others particularly when food is involved so he is separated to feed, he can see the others. Mind you I've seen him do it when they are all together as well, we have some old fishing net floats and had thought of hanging up a couple of those.

Hay racks

Started by maybelle

Replies: 10
Views: 6382
Last post March 02, 2011, 11:43:22 pm
by ballingall
Key-Hole hay racks?

Started by Penninehillbilly

Replies: 9
Views: 2693
Last post January 04, 2014, 09:12:20 pm
by jinglejoys

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS