Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ruined hay field  (Read 8357 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Ruined hay field
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 02:19:18 pm »
tommytink.
How did you get on ? Did you get any hay made ?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:13 pm »
Yes I have hay!!

So we started turning by hand, thinking even if we do a portion of it and salvage something it’ll be something. I then saw on a social media site someone I met at the village Christmas meal advertising his small bale hay. I messaged him and asked who did his and long story short he came and turned it for us once a day and then baled it. This guy is the son in law of one of the locals who said he didn’t know anyone that could do it!! So I was very pleased and maybe a little faith has been restored. I don’t think it’s the best quality, it should’ve been cut earlier, but that’s down to us not being able to get things sorted. At least it’s off the field and if they don’t want to eat it we’ll use it as bedding. Whether we attempt it next year I don’t know. We may just graze it and buy what we want in, although if what we got turns out to be a hit, economically (going on this year) it would be better to make it ourselves if we can get it lined up. But an extra grazing field will come in very handy for the amount of sheep we have.
If only you could get quad attachments for doing it - no PTO though so you’d need a separate motor. Got one on my flail mower but it chews up the fuel...

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 09:57:24 pm »
Thats excellent news, well done , I am so pleased for you .

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 03:23:56 pm »
I feel your pain, I'm still in a similar situation in Swansea. I am ordering a new topper next week as mine is fit for the scrap heap and I'm going cut 10 acres. I'll see how much I can collect but it's not going to be fun times with a full time job too.

downthetrack

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Nr Maud, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 06:35:19 am »
We’ve had an unlucky turn of events which has left us with a field of cut meadow grass left lying. It’s been soaked for 10 days now. We will need to buy in hay for our small flock of sheep but what can we do with all the ruined hay/grass?! It’s been a good field over winter as it doesn’t get too bogey but how best to clear it? Or how long before we can put sheep on it again?
Any suggestions appreciated, we have no machinery.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2019, 07:54:22 am »
Without machinery it is hard graft with a pitch fork and trailer of some sort.  You can put it into trailer sized piles to reduce driving about but that means forking wet grass twice.

If it is a full crop the stuff will rot and kill the grass underneath it so does need removing.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 08:36:00 am »
Without machinery it is hard graft with a pitch fork and trailer of some sort.  You can put it into trailer sized piles to reduce driving about but that means forking wet grass twice.

If it is a full crop the stuff will rot and kill the grass underneath it so does need removing.
Yep, exactly that - been there done that. Ours had already been put into windrows ready for baling, so on my knees and rolling it into just about managable size, then wheelbarrow to a heap - one consolation, it will make excellent compost in a couple of years...
And we got ourselves a topper, only top our fields (2 x 7 acres) a couple of times during the summer (my stocking density is not high enough to get it all eaten off), and buy in hay for the animals over winter. As OH has a full time job with a daily commute of nearly 2 hours no other option made sense...

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 08:45:15 am »
We’ve had an unlucky turn of events which has left us with a field of cut meadow grass left lying. It’s been soaked for 10 days now. We will need to buy in hay for our small flock of sheep but what can we do with all the ruined hay/grass?! It’s been a good field over winter as it doesn’t get too bogey but how best to clear it? Or how long before we can put sheep on it again?
Any suggestions appreciated, we have no machinery.

chuck the sheep on quick. theyll disperse a lot of the cut hay if you graze ir hard.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2019, 09:48:21 am »
^ this

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS