Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: geese - decision time!  (Read 1680 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
geese - decision time!
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:10 am »
I bought a breeding trio of ebden x tolouse geese on a bit of a whim early this year and have reared 6 goslings. They've grown well and putting weight on well on grass and largely undistinguishable from the adults to an untrained eye. It's now getting closer to decision time! Although we have no issues with eating them getting them oven-ready seems to be a bit messier than with the lambs where we just take them to the local slaughterhouse pay £10 and get them back butchered in a box! I don't fancy dispatching them myself  and to sell them live as breeding stock at £28 each which is what I paid for the adults would mean a loss when we consider the feed - so what are my options? Do you think a local butcher would buy them off me for more money or if I paid someone to come and do the deed how can I be sure that it is done humanely? Anyway how should you dispatch them humanely if you haven't got the gear to electrically stun them first? Any advice /experiences appreciated

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: geese - decision time!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:03:39 am »
unless slaughted and preped in food standard places your butcher won't wan't them. its no harder than turkeys. but the plucking is worse. there down will get every where.

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:29:50 pm »
sell them in late november in the christmas sales no messing a bout

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »
Hi - my husband does them with a broomhandle. The goose's neck flat on floor - broomhandle across neck - one foot on each side and a pull upwards to break the neck. Do you know anyone who could do this for you? It is the method I think that most small holders would use if just dispatching a few birds- and is explained pictorially in many small holders manuals. It is extremely quick and can be done on the small holding - no transportation to upset them. I don't know how they do it on a commercial scale - but when you think of how they do turkeys etc I think a broom handle in the back yard has got to be better than being hung upside down on a conveyor belt and being 'stunned' etc. Yes , the processing is very tough. Do you have , maybe , somewhere close to you doing turkeys that could maybe deal with your birds once killed??

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:43:11 pm »
Our local mart has a live sale of poultry(turkeys, geese the lot) just before Xmas, so maybe that would be your option? keep one for yourself though - best Xmas roast ever!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS