Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of cutting and baling haylage  (Read 2756 times)

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
Cost of cutting and baling haylage
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:03:49 am »
Hi, can anyone kindly give me some guidance on how much it would cost to cut and bail (but leave on field) 3 acres of haylage (in Shropshire). Thanks!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Cost of cutting and baling haylage
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:42:44 pm »
Our contractors charge by the bale but he does us when he is doing next door so does not have to factor in travelling.

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:54:38 pm »
We had 28 bales (big round 4 foot bales) off the field this year.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 04:50:35 pm »
Not much help I'm afraid but I think it will be a lot.. You need to take into account that the contractor will charge you for his travel and time taken to do the actual job, so £30ph x how ever many hours it took (including travel).

The travel will probably cost a lot, especially if he traveled to cut, came back a couple of times to turn, then row up and another time to bale up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:18:47 pm »
I've no idea if your local rates will be similar to ours, but we have just had a 4.4 acre field mowed, turned, baled and wrapped for small bale haylage by a local farmer.

We got 230 bales and his bill was £720+VAT.

The sward was reasonably thick, but the grass was not overlong, so that's not a huge number of bales for that size of field.

Our guy is very local to us, and didn't charge us for travel time.

There was a price per bale for baling and for wrapping, plus an hourly rate for mowing, turning and rowing up.

I imagine large bales will be cheaper for the same amount of grass.

Oh, and despite the username, I'm in North Cornwall ;)  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 09:15:11 am »
I've no idea if your local rates will be similar to ours, but we have just had a 4.4 acre field mowed, turned, baled and wrapped for small bale haylage by a local farmer.

We got 230 bales and his bill was £720+VAT.
  :D

Which works out at £3.75 per bale ………..  I bought some  and had it delivered to barn for little more ……… without panic of watching weather.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS