Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this pig ark I built ok?  (Read 1869 times)

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
Is this pig ark I built ok?
« on: September 13, 2019, 06:43:55 pm »
Hi I'm new to traditional pig keeping and wanted to give it a go so I have built this pig ark (or is it arc?) What I want to know is it ok for keeping pigs? For example are the holes shown at the ends ok shown in the photo or would it be to draughty and cold in the depths of winter? Should I use some filler (which I have) to fill them up? Regarding the entrance  should I attach some sort of door maybe a plastic flap again to keep the cold out and heat in?

Any other suggestions for improvement?  (not too many) thanks.

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
Re: Is this pig ark I built ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 09:33:18 am »
This photo might demonstrate what I mean better. At the end of the ark there is a gap between the tin sheet and the wood will this be ok? or does it need filling in at both ends to help keep the cold out in those cold winter months??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 02:24:46 pm »
The cold won’t bother them as you’ll be bedding them on straw, so they’ll have that and each other for warmth.  But the thing that will chill them and potentially make them ill is wet, and particularly if their bedding gets wet so they can’t dry off after coming into the ark.

So the gaps would matter if they’d let rain in to wet the straw in what should be the dry end of the ark.  But ventilation is important too, so perhaps some kind of flap you can pull down when it’s wet driving rain from the wrong direction, and otherwise leave it gappy for ventilation?

Depending on breed, you probably won’t need any kind of door.  The traditional types will make a straw barrier to keep cold draughts out. 

It can catch you out how wet their straw will get once they’re wading through cold wet mud to get into the ark, so use spent straw from inside the ark to build up a pad of not quite so wet and sloppy mud in front of the ark, as a doormat, so they’re not quite so wet and muddy on entering.  And regular (like at least every couple of days when the weather is very wet) removal of the spent (ie, wetted) straw from inside the ark will help to keep their bed dry.  My sow learned to do this herself, so I just used to give her a couple of flaps of straw every other day and she’d clean out the wet stuff and replace it with fresh herself.  But they don’t know that when they’re youngsters, and can get pneumonia frighteningly easily even when they seem to have a lovely dry ark - so get into the habit of putting your hand into the bedding every day so you know for sure it’s dry.  And with those gaps at the back, check the bed at the rear of the ark too ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 09:05:08 pm »
Ok thanks for your help I think I'll leave it then as like you say the gaps will be good for ventilation and may even help dry any damp straw. I don't think driving rain will be too much of a problem as there will be two hedges beside where the ark will go on the northern and western flank, so it will be reasonably well sheltered and with the doorway facing south (ish) will provide warm sunlight.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 09:48:52 pm »
Most animals can cope with cold as long as they are dry. No animal likes a draught. Ventilation is airflow not draughts. A heavy shower will let you know if you have a problem with leaks. It looks a pretty good job. I would say that pigs like to chew wood so you might find they chew the wood inside the ark over a period of time. Also they can generally be destructive so make sure everything is well fixed. Placing arks in well drained spots with back to the prevailing wind generally precludes the need for front doors. Heavy duty plastic strips will be great toy!. Tins eventually rot at the bottom so standing on sleepers help preserve them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS