Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How cold is too cold?  (Read 1457 times)

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
How cold is too cold?
« on: December 03, 2019, 10:04:00 pm »
So I only have 1 hen left, shes an orpington and around 6 -8 years old. The vets came to the conclusion  she has cancer earlier this year. The large tumour in her abdomen. It was touch and go when she was really ill but she pulled  round and now lives a good life in my garden through the day and her wooden hen house in a night. She has a good appetite and is full of life  but remains very thin.
Now the cold weather has come if it drops below 0°c I put her in a box in the garage over night with an electric dog blanket  under the box. It's a very subtle heat. If it's over 0 I leave her out in her hen house with the doors shut and a layer of carpet under lay and a tarpaulin over the the outside with shredded paper as bedding.
Bare in mind she has no other hens to huddle with do you think I should be bringing her in all winter or does it sound about right what I'm doing? Tonight the temp is 0-3 and I'm questioning whether I'm right leaving her outside.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: How cold is too cold?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:31:34 am »
Orpingtons are pretty fluffy, so if she is out of draughts she will be fine as you are doing. To help you can put some vaseline on her comb and wattles which reduces heat loss by evaporation. Straight comb chickens are prone to frostbite at the tips if the temperature gets much below freezing. Older birds are less able to stay warm as they are less active so just keep an eye on her and make a daily judgement of her condition. We often bring older birds in at night, just to be on the safe side.

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 12:20:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I ended up putting her in the garage with the heat mat as some of the grass was starting to get a little frosty. Im going to have to get my head together and decide what temperature shes ok staying out in. I have a garden thermometer ordered so that will help.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 04:09:02 pm »
I had leghorns running in the garden when it was -7 last year and only then they didn't like it. And leghorns have massive wattles. -2 or -3 early in the morning doesn't bother them.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:28:46 am »
There is no particular temperature Caz- the age, breed and duration of the cold spell are all factors. If she's standing fluffed up with her tail down and neck drawn in that's bad. What is worth paying attention to is gut condition. For that we give occasional treatments with Avipro Avian because it is important to ensure what is being eaten is actually being properly digested as that's where the energy to fight the cold is coming from. Six years old is a good age for an Orpington- we've never had one go much past eight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS