Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lumpy ear in ewe  (Read 1266 times)

FernbankShepherd

• Joined Aug 2019
  • Australia
Lumpy ear in ewe
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:14:42 am »
Hi all,

I am new to posting here but have been reading these forums for advice for a while.

I have recently noticed that one of my ewes has a grey lump on the inside along her ear.

She has always had a droopy ear but we have put this down to poor tagging by the previous owners.

Any ideas on what this could be would be appreciated  :)
Grace

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lumpy ear in ewe
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 03:02:54 pm »
IF I said show pictures to vet would you come back with vets for sheep are rare here ??   Has the sheep also got bald eye brows  ??    could be a mineral imbalance so needing tests ?     Some times after flesh damage you can get  strange regrowth  which on the ear may just pull off BUT WILL  bleed

FernbankShepherd

• Joined Aug 2019
  • Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 02:00:44 am »
Went to the vet today for our puppy and showed her the picture.

She suggested maybe mites that could have caused her to flick her head around which may have resulted in a haematoma.

The ewe is very skittish so pulling the growth off would not really be an option if it can be avoided.
Grace

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:34:50 am »
Maybe had a haematoma ? you would have seen a very hot swollen ear over a long period , then the ear drys out and goes hard and tightens  ( unless some one lances it early in the swelling , then it may still look like a normal ear )   we call it iron lug .  Did the vet suggest treating for mites ,as this would answer why she has bald eye brows ??    The hard bits may given time drop off ??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS