Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for a good butcher  (Read 1950 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Looking for a good butcher
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:49:55 pm »
Hi all,
 I'm planning way ahead and am looking for a good butcher who will cut up 2 GOS's when I'm ready. I'm based in Torquay and they'll probably end up at Langs abattoir in Ashburton, Devon.
I know Langs have their own butchery dept but I'm putting the feelers out see if there are any recommended butchers who can do the job locally rather than relying on the easy option of the abattoir.
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Looking for a good butcher
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 07:26:51 pm »
Just out of interest why don't you want the abbatoir to butcher for you? It'll be a lot more expensive to get someone else to do it and he'd need to collect with a refrigerated van etc so your paying for a chunk of his time.  I've never been unhappy with the way an abbatoir has butchered my pigs..

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 07:02:20 am »
I think quality of the end product can vary considerably. The Cutting guys we use far surpass the local abattoir for presentation of end product, cutting & packing to our requirements as opposed to hacking a carcass and sticking in a box.
As for cost, we haven’t put pigs through yet but lambs are £25 a piece, cut, vac-packed, labelled & fast frozen - well worth it.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:09:02 pm »
Hi, didn't want to disrespect the service at the abattoir. They on all accounts do a good service but when you put so much effort into producing a great end product I think there is nothing wrong in looking for a good local butcher. From experience .. not from my own produced pork I add , there are butchers and there are butchers if that makes sense.
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS