Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farming 13,000 acres!  (Read 3181 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Farming 13,000 acres!
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:02:30 am »
There's a 12,816 acres estate in Scotland available for sale.

It costs over 4mln which means it is only around £200 per acre when you think about it.
https://www.galbraithgroup.com/property/per170030-glenlochay-by-killin-perthshire-fk21-8ub-land-farm-estate-rural

How would you manage such a huge property??? Imagine living there. It's beautiful but you would drive for over 10 miles and still be on your own property!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Farming 13,000 acres!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 09:30:07 am »
Oh wow. That is absolutely my dream (although TBH it would probably be a nightmare - I don't suit tweeds and couldn't bring myself to shoot a deer!).

Perhaps if we each put in an acre's worth and ran it as a TAS timeshare?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:58:51 am »
If you had the means to purchase this you probably wouldn't be interested in getting your sleeves rolled up and getting stuck in. You would employ an agent to make as much money as possible from government grants and incentives - Dyson is a prime example....

That is so sad SD that you can't see the dream here! :raining:  There is so much potential without any grants (apart from the livestock enterprise). It is lovely to have dreams. Ok for most (even all) of us on here the raising of 4 million is unlikely to be attainable. But it doesn't stop us maybe realising the potential of a similar operation but on a much smaller scale. To me the day you stop dreaming is the day you stop living. :thumbsup: :sunshine:

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 12:24:48 pm »
MY dream would be to repopulate the land.  Scotland used to have many many people cultivating and living off the land, before the Clearances and crofting.  Then they were turfed off so big land owners could concentrate on sheep, which were then big income generators, while they used the profits to live the high life in London. The straths and glens were left virtually empty, and the houses crumbled away.

I'm not failing to see the dream, but for me it would be a nightmare.  So many people are now wanting to live away from the cities, but the land is tied up in profit making enterprises such as grouse shooting (which equates with the killing of birds of prey, hares - why? - and defending the land by gamekeepers so only those who can pay can enjoy it), deer stalking, and fishing out the rivers, when only those who can afford a license can take those fish.  It's so elitist it makes me gag.  Those who can afford £4 million are not those who struggle to feed their families. In Scotland, most of the big estate owners now are from overseas, or huge conglomerates.  If I were able to afford the land, the grouse moors would be left to the wild, deer would be culled if their numbers got too high, and would serve as a food source for everyone, the rivers would be available for all to fish.   It wouldn't solve the world's problems, but it would show that humans might not all be selfish and self agrandising.

Thank goodness we don't all have the same dreams  :idea:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 01:03:27 pm »
 While you have good intentions ,you would need to have 8 million to cover the basic costs , the big house here has spent over 100,000 in 2yrs just keeping it wind and watertight , then the many properties are in constant need of maintenance / upgrading  ,  the small staff are to pay   etc       While  we may have 9,500 acres of trees all of the costs have to born by the estate before any income is received .   

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:10 pm »
MY dream would be to repopulate the land. If I were able to afford the land, the grouse moors would be left to the wild, deer would be culled if their numbers got too high, and would serve as a food source for everyone, the rivers would be available for all to fish.   It wouldn't solve the world's problems, but it would show that humans might not all be selfish and self agrandising.
Thank goodness we don't all have the same dreams  :idea:
That would be my dream too

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 06:49:31 pm »
"Crowd funding" ?  Just don't mention the midges  ;)

(However, it would likely be a very big crowd, with disparate interests, all needing to be to managed in one way or another.  :( )

Rushy

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:54:28 am »

It costs over 4mln which means it is only around £200 per acre when you think about it.
https://www.galbraithgroup.com/property/per170030-glenlochay-by-killin-perthshire-fk21-8ub-land-farm-estate-rural

How would you manage such a huge property??? Imagine living there. It's beautiful but you would drive for over 10 miles and still be on your own property!

Lol

Sorry as an aussie on here this tickles me pink. Funny people in your little country =)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 01:11:40 pm »
Oh yeah. In Australia this is a smallholding lol
The difference is on one acre in the UK you can have 1 cow. In Australian out back for 1 cow you need like 60 acres loooool

I'd love to go there by the way.

P.s. I come from a country where until recently average size of an agricultural holding (i.e. a farm that would support a family working full time) would be less than 5 hectares, often below 1 hectare.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:15:14 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 05:02:12 pm »

Lol

Sorry as an aussie on here this tickles me pink. Funny people in your little country =)

Sorry, but yes, it's our country

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 04:38:22 pm »
I wonder, are they are selling to raise money , because of a change in direction of the company or selling to avoid swineging land taxes that are being mooted by a certain political mind set .

It would be hellish to  build their and let in anyone that wants to live there the access roads power phone & water systems would not be likely to improve the wilderness .
 Even if everyone that wanted to farm or smallhold there was allowed,  it wouldn't be long before the vast majority failed and either gave up the hard life & squatted  ,  living on government incomes or walked out & returned to where they came from poorer but much the wiser . 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS