Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bizzare..  (Read 905 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Bizzare..
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:08:17 am »
I have several plum trees. It's nt been a very good year for fruit set here and most are still green. I do have some ripening in the old orchard but thats a  fight with the wasps as they do ripen.I do have an Opal Plum (amongst others) that has been showing signs of the odd one ripening Not much ruit on it. It's 8 yrs old and most of the fruit was at the top. I've been 'testing' the lower fruit as i dog-walkpast it. It was OK last night before 7pm and i was wonderign about lugging a step-ladder down and picking the few high plums and ripening them indoors.
This morning they're all gone... every one.

Now that tree is visible from the living room so if anyone scrumped them then they did it in the night by torchlight with either a ladder or long-reach tool for less than 2 doz under-ripe plums...

Could a large bird pick and carry off under-ripe fruit? Squirrels?
My place is rural, nearest neighbour 1/4 mile. Not visible from the road.  Almost no neighbour kids that know where the tree is and the one's that do are older and could just ask.
Weird.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Bizzare..
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:41:16 am »
For low plums, geese and, if they can get into the orchard, sheep are the culprits, but for higher ones I'm sure it's birds.  Our Victorias are long gone, and we don't have squirrels, just a selection of corvids, pigeons, and the worst culprits blackbirds (which have also removed every black and red currant, ripe Pax gooseberries, strawbs before they are quite ripe, and as many rasps as they can stuff in).  The plums were nowhere near ripe, but had not fallen, just evaporated overnight.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Bizzare..
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:33:43 pm »
Brds had the cherreis when they were green .. but at least left no end of obvious mess. Yes they take gooseberries when very ripe, left the redcurrants quite late (I got to pick a kilo off the un-caged bushes).. they've still left the blackcurrants and I've got 10lbs frozen and eaten a couple of pounds. Uncaged blueberries go fast as do any rasps.Oddly the plums in the old orchard are riper and only attacked by wasps...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS