Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I just bias, or is she a real looker?  (Read 2045 times)

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
Am I just bias, or is she a real looker?
« on: July 19, 2019, 08:11:32 pm »
I rescued this ewe from the farmer who rents some land off us. I only have sheep as pets.

I was just totally drawn to her in a mass of white faced sheep. I know v little about sheep.
I think she is a texel? Is she pure breed does anyone know or a mix. And if so, what mix could she be?
I'd like to take her to the odd show, just locally as I think she's a real looker and has good confirmation, nice temperament, but i'm no sheep judge. And I don't actually know what judges would look for. Can anyone offer some expertise> I don't mind of she's just average/ has faults that I haven't spotted. I  would just love to know more :)
Ta
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:16:41 pm by MissJackRussell »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Am I just bias, or is she a real looker?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:23:07 pm »
You’ve got a good eye, she looks very good  :thumbsup:

I wonder if she might have a touch of Lleyn in her?  Texel faces are rarely pretty, but Lleyn ewes’ faces are supposed to be pretty - it’s actually in the breed standard!  And your ewe is much prettier than your average Texel.

Whichever, she’s a good-looking ewe, and I doubt anyone would batt an eye at you entering her in a Texel class - though not one for pedigrees, of course.  However, summer classes for ewes are usually ‘ewe with lamb or lambs at foot’ or ‘ewe lamb’, so if you’re not planning on breeding her, you might struggle to find a suitable class for her!  Unless you can find a show held towards the end of the summer, when ewes would have been weaned... :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:59:48 pm »
Don’t think she’s pure texel. Could be crossed with a lleyn, or a mule. Try and find some commercial showing classes as most showing is for purebred or pedigree sheep. I know our local county show has commercial classes judged in the pen (not on a halter) for ewes with lambs at foot.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 08:56:25 am »
Definitely crossed with something that has got a narrower head than a texel, but texel in her for sure. Lovely face.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 03:29:31 pm »
Very nice looking girl  :thumbsup: :trophy: :thumbsup:

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 06:44:40 pm »
Aww thanks, everyone :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:34:27 am »

She is a good all round sheep and would be a useful addition to any flock. She possibly has texel in her and presumably your farmer friend could tell you but even in a small, local show she will not compete against texels. Commercial classes are generally for fat lambs.

All pedigree animals have a breed standard and you can find these on line. Once conformation has been assessed then the judge generally looks at the animals loose and moving. Even well put together animals, stood up well in the ring can lose their attraction once they move.

Your girl looks to have a good backend on the pictures but looks to have front feet that slightly turn out. Watch how she walks. Good teeth are essential in all sheep and will be checked. Also feet and udders. If old enough to have had a lamb then they should have had one and still have a good, even udder.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:30:16 pm »
I'm more intrigued by the rescue. Were doors kicked in? Did the farmer have her locked in a basement making fake passports or dodgy videos?? I'm picturing El Chapo in wellies and a landrover. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 02:35:52 pm »
I'm more intrigued by the rescue. Were doors kicked in? Did the farmer have her locked in a basement making fake passports or dodgy videos?? I'm picturing El Chapo in wellies and a landrover.

You are right. The details are woolly.

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 06:33:07 pm »
Haha Thanks everyone. Especially Harmony for your knowledge on what judges judge on.

By rescue,  I mean I saved her from market/commercial life in general.
She's now a pet and loved, rather than just a commodity. The farmer who rents our fields has far too many sheep  scattered all over the place and will tell you himself he can't care from them all correctly. She was terribly lame when I took her on. Far too many of his flock are :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:35:23 pm by MissJackRussell »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS