Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peg Loom Rug - raw fleece  (Read 2958 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Peg Loom Rug - raw fleece
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:54:26 pm »
I have a peg loom arriving this week and 4 raw Heb fleeces...........
I have read with interest older threads here and seen some inspiring rugs made by Accidental Smallholders. I have decided to have a go at a large-ish rug with the raw fleece - to be washed when finished, if needed. I think I understand how the loom works but wondered what folk meant about 'twiddling' the fleece as they weave it in?? Do I simply tear off a hunk and twiddle/pull it out to the desired thickness before weaving it in?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Peg Loom Rug - raw fleece
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:54:48 pm »
Yup!  The “twiddle” is to put a bit of twist in it to hold it the fibre together as you pull it out into a length and weave with it.  It’s like spinning with a wheel but a bit less precise ;)   Lots of vids on YouTube
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 06:42:10 am »
Depending how thick you want your rug you can also use yarn for a few rows then a row of fleece.Just fleece packs down into a thick rug.If you're using raw fleece you will need to wash it at the end, a few soaks in the bath then hot wash to get the grease and smell out.  Choose a hot spell, it'll take a while to dry thoroughly.Have fun, they weave up quickly once you get the hang of it and use up lots of fleece.

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:58:16 am »
Thanks both! Bought some felting needles today for any loose bits. Just waiting for loom to arrive......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS