Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Condition score Hebs  (Read 1093 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Condition score Hebs
« on: July 17, 2019, 02:58:57 pm »
Hello
Hoping for some typically wise advice from those more experienced and expert then me.
I have 4 Heb tups - born last spring. They are on 3/4 acre of rough grassland which I am trying to improve (oversown with herbal leys end of April). The pasture is short but lovely and green, with a wide variety of species growing now. The sheep seem healthy, lively and are friendly. I had them shorn last week and was quite surprised how thin they are. All similar condition/size. My best guess would be a condition score 2-ish, maybe one at 2.5. The shearer is experienced with sheep and thought they looked well and 'normal for hebs'.
Should I be concerned given the time of year? They got some hay to supplement grass over winter but nothing else. Hope to have them butchered early winter.........
Thanks
Sally

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Condition score Hebs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 03:24:31 pm »
I'm sure you know that Hebs, and other primitives, tend to carry their fat internally, what they have of it.  A normal routine condition score doesn't really apply to them.  I would expect shearlings at this time of year to be a 2 1/2 or 3, and growing.  You won't feel much fat on the spine, but you should not be able to stick your fingers round under the spinous processes. Gigots are longer than commercial sheep and less rounded to feel. I suggest you keep them on your good and varied grassland then reassess in late August. 
Get a FEC done and treat if necessary.  Don't give in by feeding concentrates as this will spoil the special character of the meat, and the presence of health-giving CLAs.  You don't get cuts such as belly, neck, or big fat chops.  We get two gigots, two shoulders, valentine (double) chops and all the rest minced for sausages, burgers or mince.
We send our shearlings off in mid to late August and get respectable weights, but they really do fill out over the summer.  If you leave them too close to tupping time in November then there is a risk of tup taint, although we have only ever found that in a 7yo animal.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Re: Condition score Hebs
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 01:29:19 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife - that's really useful and reassuring.
Thanks too for the butchery advice - I will pass onto butcher when the time comes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS