Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you have in your greenhouse in July and August?  (Read 4783 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: What do you have in your greenhouse in July and August?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 09:43:00 pm »
Strawberries - just finished
Sweetcorn - coming along well
Carrots & beetroot & salad - ready for picking now
Melons - hardly grown for months and looking hopeless
Tomatos - first flowers just showing.
Cucumbers - plants are tiny but starting to flower
Courgettes - hope to get first fruit later this week
Onions - doing well
French beans - probably a month to go before we will see any beans.
Squash - plants looking healthy but smaller than I expected.
Grapes & nectarine & kiwi - only planted this year so don't expect anything for a few years.
Weeds - tremendous crop of most varieties

indigowells

• Joined Jul 2019
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 11:38:41 pm »
I've run across this blog several times in the past, usually finding it while looking for pig information.  But this subject pulled me in enough for me to actually register and post.  I live in the States, in southern Illinois with "southern" being the operative word in regards to climate.  I know Britain and parts of Europe have recently had a horrendous heat wave, so perhaps readers can relate that our summer temps are like that nearly every day with the added bonus of 40% + humidity.  For some time I've been trialing different species in my greenhouse under these conditions.  I have eight 5'x10' (12" tall) beds of heavily amended soil in a 48 x 24 double poly greenhouse with roll up sides.  With the sides up, vents and doors open, the midday temp will still reach 110+ at chest height, but I can't afford to let prime growing space lay fallow for four or more months. 

I have tried many of the plants previously mentioned.  Most have not done well, though I've found a variety of cherry tomato (Punta Banda) that has withstood the test for many years, to the point that it has become something of a weed.  Okra (all varieties) has done quite well until the aphids find it, then it becomes a matter of determination.  Sweet potatoes (any variety, though I tend to go with bush just because of space limitations) dearly love the heat and humidity with the added bonus of being protected from the deer.  Cowpeas (bush rather than pole) have done well, but there just really isn't enough room to make it meaningful.  Yard long beans (red variety) didn't even slow down when the heat cranked up.  Peanuts (several varieties) have also done well, though I put them in there not for their heat tolerance put for the loose soil of the raised beds.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 03:43:16 am »
You got all that in your greenhouse Wullie?   How big is it
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 05:20:02 am »
It's a polytunnel that's 7.5m x 12m.

We got it second hand off a neighbour who had a wee nursery business, it was 30m long when they had it but we decided that was a bit much so put the hoops closer together!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 09:27:35 am »
I have tomatos, peas, salad stuff,  strawberries, potatoes in tubs, chinese cabbage and some young flowers plants to grow on to plant out next Spring.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 10:36:08 pm »
I sometimes use a spray on white shade on the outside of my glasshouse to lower the temp when it gets really hot mid July usually  . Then leave it on till mid October if the weather is hot .

Do any of you ploy tunnellers  shade with fine knitted soft green netting drawn over th top and pegged down well , paint/ or spray your tunnels for the same reason  ?.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 07:38:34 am »
I selected an opaque cover for my polytunnel which reduces the dazzle of the sun slightly and no further shading is required.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:45 am »
Whereabouts in Scotland are you Wullie?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 07:14:23 pm »
Whereabouts in Scotland are you Wullie?

Strathnairn (about 30 mins South West of Inverness).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS