Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's wrong with her?  (Read 1945 times)

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
What's wrong with her?
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:34:44 am »
I noticed my ewe staggering down to the trough earlier, stood and watched her for a while and realised her  hind legs were giving way. She staggered away and I went to try and get her to follow me in with food but she got so far and then collapsed. She's recumbent now. I am a complete novice with sheep, only had them a year or so,  all are pets. I would say if she were a horse that she looked like she was colicking ( without the thrashing around)  She's lying with her head down and she looks very bloated. Her hocks appear to be buckling too when she does stand to move around , clearly in discomfort then lay down again.  And one of her udders is swollen. I have called the vet but they can' get here until 2pm today.

Just wondering what might be wrong with her. I want to go and sit with her as she's my favorite, but i'm 6 months pregnant myself, so worried what it might be?
Any ideas anyone please?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: What's wrong with her?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:24:24 am »
Could be anything... bloat, grass staggers (magnesium deficiency), she could have eaten something, mastitis if her udder is swollen... the vet is the best person to diagnose and treat, if you're worried she might not live until the vet gets here then ring and make them aware it's an emergency. Nobody can really diagnose over the internet only speculate what it could be. 

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 12:03:44 pm »
Thanks! I know..I read about staggers too. She was ill only some 6 weeks ago where her head and ears were very swollen. Vet prescribed 2 meds which sorted her out. Read that could have been photosensivity?  Wonder if it's related.
That's the earliest they can get here.
I just hope she's treatable.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:01:32 pm »
Only just read your post. By now the vet should have been so I'm hoping that they've been able to help her. I've just got pet sheep so I know how you're feeling if there's a problem. Fingers crossed.  :fc:
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 05:40:50 pm »
Hope your vet got out in time , it reads like mastitis turning to septicaemia and death ??

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 07:51:05 pm »
Just to update. She seems to have pulled through. The vet was a little perplexed himself. He thought it was probably colic? possible liver failure?  he gave her a shot of calcium, buscopan and something else?  She is now standing fine, grazing, and seems much happier! I'm very happy :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 09:29:22 pm »
Ragwort

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 10:20:38 pm »
Excellent.  news!  :sunshine:
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS