Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The case of the missing turkeys.  (Read 1816 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
The case of the missing turkeys.
« on: July 03, 2019, 06:21:03 pm »
So I took delivery of 50 turkey poults last Tuesday. They were all doing quite well up until last night. They’ve been in a large dog cag with heat sources in and if got some very fine mesh around the bottom 3 inches of the cage as they may have been able to squeeze out if they wanted as they were day old poults when I had them. I’d put this cage on top of another cage so it was about 4ft from
The ground and in the middle of the stable. I checked on them this morning and there were only 5 left in the cage. 45 of them have vanished. Not a trace. No feathers. Nothing just totally gone.

So initially I thought possibly a rat had got in, but I just can’t see how a rat would have got in and taken 45 of them out and taken them somewhere else with not even a feather or speck of blood anywhere.

Now I’m thinking has someone come in the middle of the night and taken them?

Has anyone else had anything similar.

I’m so annoyed as last year I tried turkeys and didn’t do very well as they contracted black head and then most the ones that survived that were lost to a fox attack. So id been extra cautious this time. Made sure the full environment was totally sterilised and disinfected and bought a brand new enclosure ready for when they were big enough to go out.

Not having much luck really with turkeys.

I’ve raised chickens and ducks in these same cages with no issue.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: The case of the missing turkeys.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:12:35 pm »
Sorry for your losses, what a shame!!

If the cage was locked and there were no traces of violence anywhere, then I would presume a human theft. As you said, surely it would be very rare if not impossible for a predator to take 45 turkey poults overnight, let alone not leave any trace?

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 10:13:52 pm »
Time to get some cameras up I think.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 09:30:07 am »
That is upsetting. I assume that if they managed to get out of the cage they couldn't get out of the stable? Odd they left 5? And shut the cage back up? And they knew you had poults? Yes, to cameras.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 09:58:36 am »
Stolen would be my first thought.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 10:59:57 am »
Stolen would be my first thought.

probably by someone knowing the way round your farm/holding....

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 03:38:27 pm »
I’ve had this happen and it turned out to be rats. I set a live trap in empty pen and caught the culprits.
There was seemingly no trace but on closer inspection just a tiny drop of blood or two... they can get through tony spaces

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 08:17:29 pm »
Weasel perhaps?
I had fox pull out a rabbit from a cage through very small whole. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fluffy ginger thief.
I saw a baby one today at 9 am running on my street.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS