Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Albion vs Dairy Shorthorn cows  (Read 1409 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Albion vs Dairy Shorthorn cows
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:48:32 pm »
This time we actually made an offer to buy a 12 acre field ( :fc:) It hasn't been grazed since last year so atm it's got lovely waist high grass  :roflanim:

I'm thinking of have 2-3 milking cows and some sheep, subdividing the field into smaller paddocks and rotating then with the animals so hopefully use it all year round.

I'm thinking of getting either Albion or dairy shorthorn or red poll (dairy strain) or water buffalo cows to work for us - mostly for milking.
There's a guy in Leicestershire who breeds dairy shorthorn (the original population), milks 50 red polls (he's probably the only one in the country), Kerry and Albion cows.
Not sure what to choose????
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Albion vs Dairy Shorthorn cows
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 01:33:35 pm »
Personally I would be drawn to the NDS  as I learned to hand milk as a boy on these , as a smallholders milk cow then  a Jersey or Guernsey would be hard to rule out ,  pick which ever breed YOU like to look at every day

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Albion vs Dairy Shorthorn cows
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 05:05:55 pm »
I suppose it will be my wife's decision at the end - or what she likes to look at!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS