Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphan Pygmy Kids off their feed  (Read 1820 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Orphan Pygmy Kids off their feed
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:41:55 am »
Hi, I have got 2 pygmy kids which were with their mother up until they were 4 weeks old, then I had to have their mother put down.  They were eating hard feed at the time, but obviously feeding off her a lot too.  I tried to get them on a bottle with no luck, so I used a syringe to get milk into them a few times a day until they learnt to drink from a bucket.  That lasted a few days, but then they refused that too.  They are now 6 weeks old, have only been having a goat course mix and water for the past week, but have got really thin, and in the last day or so, have barely eaten the course mix.  I have wormed them, and I see them eating grass during the day, but I'm worried they are going to go down hill if they aren't eating enough. 
I spoke to my vet just after the mother was put down, and she explained the rumen doesn't develop until they are 10 weeks old, but she thought they should be OK without milk if I really couldn't get it into them.

Any ideas before I call the vet again?  is there any other feed I could try them on?

thank you!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Orphan Pygmy Kids off their feed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:22:47 am »
I would feed them lamb creep and give them access to as much good grass as possible during the day, or if safe to do so 24 hrs a day. Do you have any other goats to put them out with, they will copy them and get a small amount of protection from them too.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 09:42:34 am »
Thanks I have Lamb pellets, I will try them on those.  They have an acre of lush grass which they have access to all day but I shut them in at night for protection.  They are with a couple of kids which are 16 weeks old.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 11:00:23 am »
I would worry about acidosis if they are mainly eating fresh grass and creep. Really nice soft hay is what they need to develop their rumen, and although not finished developing by the time they are 10 weeks old, it should well be on the way.

If you don't have have soft leafy hay try rabbit hay at the feed merchants or pet shop, and you could also try them on Readigrass.

Branches are also good - willow branches and you could/should feed them the bark as well - you may have to peel it off for them.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 01:54:18 pm »
Thanks Anke.  We have rabbit hay from Tesco and willow branches, so I'll try them on both.
They seem happy eating grass currently, but one has now started scouring so I'll give it some scourproof.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:07:16 pm »
, but one has now started scouring so I'll give it some scourproof.
Again could be a sign of acidosis, but also a whole load of other things... make sure he stays hydrated, if necessary tube with rehydration solution. I would probably speak to the vet, they can go down very quickly at this age, especially if recently been under stress.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS