Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep lying down more than usual  (Read 4662 times)

Losthawk

• Joined Jun 2019
Sheep lying down more than usual
« on: June 25, 2019, 02:04:27 am »
Spartan my Wether (approx 3 years old) is lying down alot more. He will be lying down 90% of the day. The sheep are all sheared (3 weeks ago) He had a limp the other day which lasted for 2 days, which has now disappeared.  They moved fields the other day, but prior to this he was still being distant and lying down alot more, They were up on the hill fields and have been bought down to the stables to graze the land there. When bringing them down, he did not come with everyone else. It took 2 days to get him to the correct field as he was refusing to cooperate. (however this isnt unheard of for him, he is feral, and a pain... rescue sheep never handled, and last time i had to handle him was to sort the horn he ripped out his head out... so cant blame him for having no trust) I did manage to walk within 3 metres infront of him today which was a bit odd.... 

Any ideas on his lying down alot? He doesnt collapse, he will be grazing, then move to the wall or tree, and lie down there and have another nap... It just seems excessive.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Sheep lying down more than usual
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:23:29 am »
Any chance he could have maggots?  When they are uncomfortable and sore, they sometimes do this.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:36 pm »
First thought would be a pneumonia type problem  with only his breathing as an outward sign along with the reluctance to move much ?    No snotty/ crusty nose as in nasal bots which can make him lye down a lot with his head flat on the ground ?   Maggots not unheard of after shearing especially if he was lame  BUT would be very easy to see ?  Is it very hot with you  if so after shearing sheep need shade ?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 02:09:45 pm »
I noticed one of my rams doing this and close inspection found he had a scabby, not maggoty, undercarriage.  He has had daily applications of red biddy udder ointment and within three days he is coming right.  I blame the midges for his problem.

messyhoose

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 06:24:42 pm »
i may be causing alarm where not due, but if anyone mentions wethers i always feel the need to highlight urolitholiasis.  Usually will look like wether is straining to poo (or give birth as my volunteers stated to me over the ohone), but start of may be lethargy. Make sure you see him wee then you can totally rule this one out!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS