Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welsh Councils and Planning Permission  (Read 1948 times)

Peter the Small Farmer

• Joined Jun 2019
Welsh Councils and Planning Permission
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:29 am »
Hello Forum Community: I'm a new member.

I am researching and planning to establish a small farm / smallholding in Wales ... I know this is going to be challenging.

Do any members have current knowledge and / or experience of gaining planning permission in Powys, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire, or Pembrokeshire?  Particularly of help is Councillors' & Planners' viewpoints.

My plan is to have a transportable mobile log cabin to live in, farmyard buildings, plus establish a small commercial enterprise based on small animal husbandry and fruits & vegetables.

I also plan to be as off-grid as possible - I've lived in West Africa and understand some of these issues.

All comments and suggestions for getting going will be appreciated.  Thank you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Welsh Councils and Planning Permission
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 07:25:31 pm »
First thing to do is find land that you can afford.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Peter the Small Farmer

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:50:33 am »
Thank you.  I have identified various plots of land across my area of interest.

There is this Catch-22 situation in buying the land, then applying for planning but having this rejected.

I am not sure about the Scotland perspective but the Welsh Government appears to have a global policy that Local Authorities seem to object to in terms of seeing the small farmer or the smallholder as a threat to something.

One of my focus points now is to find an agricultural planning consultant who understand the Local Authority with its approaches to planning against my needs of planning for the small farm.

I'll keep going!  Any other comments will be welcome and thank you.

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 01:25:29 pm »
There is another thread on here re: planning and the poster was strongly opposed to using agricultural planning consultants. His post was very informative - see if you can find it - search for planning.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:10:58 pm »
Look online for the county planning departments.

Here it is Carmarthenshire  they should give telephone numbers for the departments .

I've found them very helpful , diverse living is happening in several areas   Teepee Valley Carmarthenshire  is one such place .. look it up .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Peter the Small Farmer

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 02:52:15 pm »
Hello to all Community Members and thank you for your replies and suggestions.  I'll follow the various ideas and see where I get to.

My research so far suggests that the Welsh Government's Open Planet Development guidance and ideas are not welcomed by Planning Departments.

It seems to me that I need to find and buy my land, get some sort of small farming / smallholding activity going, experience the trauma of thefts because I am not resident on site, and then (re)apply for planning permission.

I'm sure there would be a better way to "do" planning, even in these days of protection of the landscape etc, for people who wish to undertake a good contribution to the environment.  I'll keep going: I think my goal is good.

Many thanks, and any further comments will be welcome.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS