Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How big an enclosure for 2 wearers for pork  (Read 1688 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
How big an enclosure for 2 wearers for pork
« on: June 27, 2019, 07:40:11 pm »
Hi,  my wife and I own a 4 acre field previously set up for equestrian use. After the previous tenants doing  a runner owing rent and leaving the place in an apauling state we no longer want to go there. We have now decided to get pigs. Not wanting to run before we can walk we want to start with a couple of weaners for pork.

I'm now at the state where I am getting everything in place before they arrive ... no rush to get them until all is ready. First question is how big an area do they need? I have plenty of time and space, just want to get it right at the start.

Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: How big an enclosure for 2 wearers for pork
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:05:53 am »
There's a series of brief articles on the site that cover all of the basics that you might find useful:

https://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/pigs/

Good luck!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:21:29 am »
Weaners have probably never been outside before so they'll be scared initially, I would let them have their house and a small area, maybe hurdle or fence off a three metre square for them, so they won't loose their house. After a week I'd give them a larger area and increase it over time. The most I'd allow for 2 weaners would be 1/2 an acre.

Have you thought about sheep, or even renting out the rest of the field for sheep? They keep the fields in good condition and can be rewarding.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 09:06:36 am »
A quarter acre would be fine. If you buy from a small breeder they will probably have been out. Even  if they haven't they will love it and I've never seen one be scared. They are curious and love exploring. The main thing is for them to know where their house is first. You also need secure fencing.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 03:58:46 pm »
Hi folks, thanks for the replies. We did think of renting out the field for sheep but as I said the place is in a terrible state . The OH's father who previously owned it did little and the perimeter fence ( where you can get to it!) is to say the least insecure. We are however waiting for a reply from a chap who grazes a small flock in the area using electric fencing.

We are going to erect an enclosure of stock proof fencing and run a line of electric wire at the base to try to prevent them digging. We also have some sheep hurdles so on your advice I'll section a small area against the ark for a little while and take it away once l know they're happy in their new home.

Just got back from a visit to the breeder, very experienced with a good mix of traditional pigs.... have put our name down for a couple of guilts to be born in a few weeks.
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS