Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Complete Newbie from Ammanford, Carmarthenshire  (Read 1340 times)

WelshGirl70

• Joined Jul 2019
Complete Newbie from Ammanford, Carmarthenshire
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:21:59 pm »
Hi
I am completely new to any type of farming and would appreciate advice. My late husband and I built our house in a 4acre field 20years ago and have done nothing other than cut the grass and plant bushes and trees. My children are now teenagers and the plan is to have some animals and utilise the land better. Not looking to make money from anything just have a good supply of quality meat etc for family. I have had a couple of goats for a month now clearing an area of the land and got 9 rescue chickens on Saturday eve which I am delighted to say have given me 7 eggs each morning since. So what do people suggest I get next? I’ve been speaking to someone about a few piglets, another about a couple of Dexter’s and one about sheep but can’t decide what is best. I want to get a couple of turkey chicks ready for Xmas but can they go in with the chickens? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks Welshgirl

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Complete Newbie from Ammanford, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 07:15:24 am »
hello Welshgirl70! I can't help with your questions but wanted to say hello as your neighbour from down the road  :wave:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 09:48:19 am »
Welcome to the forum. 4 acres is plenty for all sorts- we used to keep 2 lambs on half an acre, firstly to cut the grass and then to fill the freezer.

It's inadvisable to mix turkeys with chickens because chickens can carry 'blackhead' without showing it. Blackhead is deadly to turkeys. The other problem with turkeys is they are very cute and you may struggle with 'the deed' at Christmas.

Piglets will trash your land- our neighbour across the valley keeps them and I can see the mess whilst typing this.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 06:00:11 pm »
Hi and welcome from Talley.  Talley and Cwmdu smallholder group is always happy to have new members.

As for stock  definitely not cows …. not enough land.  Sheep are you best bet for grass grazing …. but you need to think about slaughter options if you are proposing meat production. 

Hope we meet in the near future.
Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:34:10 pm »
Hi and welcome from another part of Wales :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 09:52:53 pm »

Hi and welcome from sunny Shropshire.  :wave:

It sounds like a great idea to utilise your land and you've made a good choice with goats. Are you planning on them having kids so you get milk as well as your land cleared. I presume you have checked for poisonous plants? I don't keep goats these days due to my health but I still have goat meat in the freezer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS