Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selective weed killer  (Read 1952 times)

PhilW

• Joined Jan 2011
  • North Lincolnshire
Selective weed killer
« on: May 28, 2019, 01:47:15 pm »
We have approx’ 3.5 acres of pasture mainly for horses and some of it for goats. I have been using selective weed killer (ragwort, buttercups etc). I only use once a year for the buttercups etc and spot spray with Barrier H for the ragwort. My main problem is I don’t really want to keep using selective weed killer. What do others do to stop the spread of buttercups etc, I will continue to use the Barrier H though.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Selective weed killer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 05:58:18 pm »
Why spray?   Horses and goats don't need masses of grass …. wildflower meadow much better.   Can understand spray for ragwort if this is a real issue …. but rest why spray?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:40:22 pm »
Just don't think you can then use the manure from your goats and horses to use as mulch etc in your garden.... Aminopyralid will ruin your produce for years to come.

I really would think twice about spraying. Creeping buttercup is often a sign of acidic soil - have you had the pH tested recently? If acidic a spreading of lime will help.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 03:29:51 pm »
Sheep! Sheep are much better at eating weeds than goats! I cross graze horses and sheep on most of my land except one field that's not fenced well enough for sheep, it has loads of buttercup, dock and I need to keep on top of ragwort - the sheep fields are always clear of weeds :)

PhilW

• Joined Jan 2011
  • North Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:42:09 pm »
Backinwellies We will be going over to wild flower meadow, already been in contact with a couple of companies for seed.
They are not creeping buttercups, probably should not said buttercups they are mainly Hypochaeris radicata "cats ear", soil is "chalky" free draining soil, had it tested a couple of years ago. Apart from the ragwort (which we are on top of and only spot spray) we will not be spraying again. Anke the chemical you stated is not present in the solution we have used, and our plants are fine and thriving. bj-cardiff The goats are not on the same area as the horses and they have plenty to browse, sheep are something we have been thinking of at sometime in the future. Thanks again for the advice.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 03:51:34 pm »
Doesn’t buttercup cause scouring in sheep? And even more problematic for horses?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS