Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicks on Layers Pellets  (Read 1434 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Chicks on Layers Pellets
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:09:37 pm »
Hi Everyone, can you please put my mind at rest or advise me please.... I'm worried I've made a real clanger.

We have chickens and recently got some new chicks (who are just over 3 weeks of age). Tonight (on bank holiday weekend, so our local farm shut early) I realised we'd run out of chick starter crumb. So i broke up some layers feed to give them until i can find a farm locally (or Amazon) to deliver chick food tomorrow. However having done this, I then had the sense to check the internet and am now worried that it says it may ruin their kidneys due to high levels of calcium and protein.

They've only had one meal of this but what action do I need to take or will they be ok until tomorrow when I get some more?

Am I better to let them be hungry tomorrow assuming the farm opens late or Amazon can't deliver early or do I chance another feed of layers?

We love them dearly and have been so careful with them....I'm so concerned that my eagerness to feed them, may cause long term damage or even short term over night problems. The internet is always full of horror stories about these sort of things, some reasonable sensible advice would be really welcome.

Please advise fellow Chicken owners
Thank you xx

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Chicks on Layers Pellets
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 06:19:58 pm »
I've fed chicks on layers pellets for years. mainly because they run with my layers anyway. The main reason I would feed chick crumbs is the size, and also because of the coccidiostat they contain. However if chicks are given whole corn/seed + grit of course, to eat as well then any coccidia eggs are ground up with the corn and destroyed in the gizzard.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 06:34:37 pm »
They’ll be fine! It may be sub optimum in terms of size, composition, no antibiotic but it’ll likely be made out of the same ingredients in different ratios with a few extras.  Chick crumb will only be a few days away :-)

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 06:40:38 pm »
I think youre right to be worried. I have never done this but like you have read it does harm their kidneys. But yes Im sure theyll be fine if its just short term.

When Im in your situation, I mostly substitute with chopped hardboiled eggs see below link.
https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/feeding-chicks/#more-1777
Then nip to the supplier ASAP :)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 07:50:24 pm »
I feed my chicks a mix of chick crumb, layers and corm from around 4 weeks old, I wouldn't think twice about feeding layers to them if the only other option was to go without!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 08:13:51 pm »
I always have porridge oats on hand so I can make up some porridge if I run out of layers pellets.  Even my ducks will eat it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 08:46:33 pm »
Thank you all so much.

I'm off tomorrow to source some chick crumb but for now will stop starving them and let them eat some crushed up layers feed. Wow, who knew small chickens could have the same effect as being responsible for children!!

Really appreciate your quick feedback and thoughts.
Thank you xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS