Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mr hare is late this year  (Read 2088 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Mr hare is late this year
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:11:42 pm »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Mr hare is late this year
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:06:28 am »
Aren't they wonderful?  I don't know how you got such a clear pic.  Here, our Jenny and her half grown leveret would be off over the top before I got my camera out - in fact I've never tried to photograph her, as I've assumed it's a lost cause.  Hares seem impossible to sneak up on, or to surprise.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:45:20 am »
Aren't they wonderful?  I don't know how you got such a clear pic.  Here, our Jenny and her half grown leveret would be off over the top before I got my camera out - in fact I've never tried to photograph her, as I've assumed it's a lost cause.  Hares seem impossible to sneak up on, or to surprise.

Sony Rx10 iii. It's fancy for a bridge camera (aka expensive) but excellent telephoto lens as you can see. My daughter 'borrowed' my canon camera for her business some years ago but if I'd still had that then by the time I'd dug a long lens out, fitted it etc then hare would have been gone. And a canon long lens of this quality isn't cheap either. This is very much one system does it all - just a bit chunky for always carrying. I just grabbed it, leant against the doorway to steady my hands and popped of a few shots 150yds away.

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 07:44:45 am »
I love my bridge camera for the same reason - Nikon coolpix P600 - I didn't think it was that expensive, given its capability within such a small package.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 07:37:48 am »
Nice Pic! we have loads of hares this year. You need lots of time to waste(?) to get good shots of them.Carting all the gear about isn't easy. So there we are. Retired with the time but struggle with all the bits!!Canon 400 2.8 prime at about 300m .

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:53 pm »
excellent pic....wish we had hares in that number..most I ever saw was three.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 12:28:22 pm »
I currently have a rather ancient Nikon D40 with various lenses and folderols, but these days it's far too heavy to cart around, and no chance of getting it set up quickly.  We also bought a little Olympus Tough, which doesn't mind being carted around in a work pocket, dropped in a puddle, left in the shed and frozen, hauled out in all the dust of haymaking, stood on, and it does fine in a motor cycle jacket pocket where it's bound to get drenched. All of these activities killed Mr F's previous compact camera . It can also be attached to the strap of a backpack for action pics but I must admit neither of us has used it for that yet. On top of all that it takes good, clear photos, close up and reasonably far away.  It's getting it wound up in microseconds  that catches me out every time.  I did have a bridge camera (not a posh one) some time ago, but it barely fitted in a jacket pocket, was a squeeze to get out quickly, and was surprisingly heavy.
We only seem to see the back end of our hares as they make off into the distance.  One day I shall sit quietly down at Soggy Bottom and wait til the jenny comes by, or one of her young.  Just need the time  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:33:21 pm by Fleecewife »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 12:41:38 pm »
I had to stop the car for two hares boxing at the side of the road - two days ago. Er, guys, it's not even April any more, let alone March!?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 12:53:37 pm »
My dad caught a hare ones upon a time with bare hands lol
Then he let him go btw

No idea how he did it but he was young way before he got married
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 03:10:19 pm »
I had to stop the car for two hares boxing at the side of the road - two days ago. Er, guys, it's not even April any more, let alone March!?

They were May hares Womble  :D .  Hares have several broods a year - they start early and carry on.  Presumably the boxing was because the Jenny was not ready for the next lot yet, so let the jack know it. I know the females are Jills, but I've always known them as Jennys

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS