Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cattle penning  (Read 1438 times)

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Cattle penning
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:14:09 pm »
Hello all,

So I have some AA, hereford and BB calves and they are now 3 months old, weaned and in group housing. I intend to keep them till 6-7months, and then sell for finishing. My question is is it worth investing the big money in cattle hurdles and penning for animals this age and size, or can I just use plywood and screws so to speak. What does everyone else use please?

Also what sort of price would I charge for these at 6-7 months and how does the market pricing work.

Many thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Cattle penning
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:24:28 pm »
Expect you’ll need something stronger than plywood really. Cattle even 6-7 months old are very strong.

Price wise... depends on a whole host of things but do the AA and Hereford have named sires on passports? Prices we found are not good at the moment for younger calves- if it’s logistically possible you would do better to keep a bit longer and sell as stores at 12m. A lot of the big finishers don’t want long keep calves. Sold through market stores at priced per head, then you have commission, transport, vat on auctioneer commission to come out of it.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:48:47 pm »
You can check weekly prices from your local auctions on their web site in the sales reports. Bear in mind they will highlight the leading prices but the average should be there too. Pop along to a sale. Usually, a good breakfast at these places too!

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 04:05:06 pm »
Thanks both. :thumbsup: Yes they are named sires twizzel.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS